1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Need advice on employees

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mr. C, Jan 18, 2005.

1. Mr. C

Mr. C LawnSite Member
    from Miami

I"m trying to get my business going in the right direction but my biggest problem seems to be employees. You can sell all the services and landscape jobs in the world but if your employees can't produce the work and the quality then you are going nowhere. Before everyone starts posting and saying get new people, let's be realistic it's not that easy. I've had so much emplyee turn over in the last year it's ridiculus. I've had em all and have recruited them from almost everywhere. I basically keep finding the same guy different name. Right now I need some concrete advice on how to change this situation.
  2. tailoredlook

tailoredlook LawnSite Member

don't take this personally, but it could be the way you treat your people. if you treat them like people and not hirees then you might find someone who works out for you.
  3. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

or screen them better, or pay them more, or put them on an incentive plan.

Employee turn over is a big problem in this business. No question. But it can be reduced if you are a good person to work for, if you pay well, you do good work, but most importantly you have to build yourself up to a point where people want to work for you then they start referring friend to you.

Cutting grass is easy, Managing people is a b1tch.
  4. LightningLawns

LightningLawns LawnSite Senior Member

Hey precision how much do you pay an average guy to work for you that knows what he is doing?
  5. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

Treat your employees as you would like to be treated, and pay them a fair wage with a few bonuses here and there. Please don't take offense if you already do this. Those are just usually two factors that contribute to a high turnover rate.
  6. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

You can do all that and still only the idiots apply.
  7. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

Very true. You have to consider the type of work that you are asking someone to do. It's very labor intensive and it does'nt take a genius to do it. Those criteria don't usually attract the most responsible and intelligent people.

One of my favorite movie lines says it all... "the world needs ditch diggers too"
    Judge Schmails, Caddyshack.
  8. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Senior Member

In my opinion it all changes once you are able to offer health insurance etc. I know it sounds like a lot however you need to look into health insurance savings plan. For example, say emp #1 is single he can get a plan for aboout 80.00 per month you pay 40.00 per and he pays 40.00 per and the deductible you pay for it. might run you 1000.00 per emp. but you are able to pay alot less when you offer health insurance etc. I was paying in the ballpark of 10-12 dollars per hr. and getting people who still felt like I owed them something. Now I can get a better employee for 8.75-9.75 pay for part of his health insurance and come out way ahead.
  9. Mr. C

Mr. C LawnSite Member
    from Miami

I treat people pretty fair. I expect people to come in and to want to do a good job. What i end up with is people who just want to get through the day, make it to friday and get paid.
  10. Mr. C

Mr. C LawnSite Member
    from Miami

I created a hiring process a really started sticking to as of late but screening and interviewing takes time. You have to sift through 10 bad ones just to get to a possible. Then two weeks later you find that he is a deadbeat and you are back at square 1. I have asked around and I'm on about the same scale with everyone else as far as pay. I don't mind paying more as long as they can show me that paying more is worth it. Paying more for some guy to drag a** around all day like eveyone else does, I can't see that. I have been working on an incentive plan but I have not started with it as of yet. Do you have an incentive plan that you use? If so can you give specific details of what is involved? I need as much help as possible