Need advice on expanding to full time.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by newbomb, Feb 8, 2005.

1. newbomb

newbomb LawnSite Senior Member

I have decided to go for broke and jump in full time this year. I currently have about 30 Residentials which will all get an increase this year.

I am trying to figure out how much work I should be able to handle and what weekly $$ figure is realistic. I cut mostly small lots from town houses to as big as 1/2 acre. (this has just worked best for me up till now). I will work as a solo operator.

My bigggest mower is a 48" exmark belt drive with velkie.

The equipment I have is all in good condition and plenty large enough to be time effective on the size jobs I want.

I was thinking of 50 to 60 accounts total with income $1,500 to $2,000 per week. (remember their small lots).

Am I making sense or missing something. I am used to this as a part time "extra money" business.

Any thoughts or advise would be greatly appreciated.

-Paul

P.S. I am legal and Insured!!!!

2. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Senior Member

Your in the ball park. However rememeber 50-60 accounts is alot if you are going solo and trying to trim shrubs, mulch, and other lawn maintenance jobs. If you are just going to mow trim and go then have a tight route and you will have no problems.

3. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

I do 28 resi and 4 commercial solo in 3.5 days. Smallest resi .13 acre, largest 2.5 acres. In off days I line up sod jobs, clean ups and the like and I started from 0 accts last march. Go for it.

60 @ $2000 sounds ok but it depends on your expenses and your previous income.

My thought would be a monthly pay plan Say $125 per month over your 8 month mow season (based on your average lawn cost of $33 per cut). 1/4 the billing and paper work for you and they can budget easier and it gets rid of EOW clients.

Also helps that they get used to writing bigger checks, so clean up time, mulching time, writing a $250 or $450 check is a lot easier.

4. BODIDDLY

BODIDDLY LawnSite Member

how do you guys go from part time to full time?what do you do to get more accounts?ive tried buisness cards and fliers.....but i only have 30 yards and would like to double that this season!