1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Need advice on first zrt purchase

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by iceman22, May 14, 2008.

1. iceman22

iceman22 LawnSite Member

I have been looking for a good quality zero turn mower for a couple months now and have been frequently visiting this site that I luckily stumbled upon a couple weeks ago during my research. I'm primarily going to use the mower right now on my property which is 1.5 acres. Eventually, I would like to do some some small commercial and residential properties on a part time basis. I had narrowed my choices between the tiger cub 60" w/25 hp kohler or exmark as 60" w/25 hp kohler. However, I also looked at a leftover 07 wildcat with a 25 hp kaw w/ 52" deck for about the same price. I know that the 25 hp kaw engine makes 41 ft lbs of torque @ 2400 rpm and should be more than adequate power for the 52" deck. I really don't have any idea how much torque the 25 hp kohler engine makes and wonder how it would feel driving the 60" deck. The wildcat also has the external hydraulic cooler, how much of a benefit will this be on a machine that will not be used on a full time basis? If you were on a limited budget and limited to 25 hp, for the same money, which of these rigs would you prefer? Any advice or opinions would be greatly appreciated.
  2. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

I would buy a gravely 160Z with 25hp kohler. We paid $6899 for ours this spring. The 25hp kohler is plenty for the 160Z. I havent been able to slow it down at all this spring. It leaves a very nice smooth cut no matter what the conditions are and it never gets any build up under the deck.

Here read this.

3. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

wow, you sure helped him out!! i mean, here the guy says ive narrowed it down to these two and you politely come up with a 3rd!

between the 2 i dont think you'd go wrong with either 60". the 25hp is plenty of juice for you.
  4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

If money is a problem I don't understand buying these big units that will probably run around $7K plus. You could easily do this with the low end Scag ztr unit that is problem half the cost and will last you until you get tired of doing the lawn.
  5. dura to the max

dura to the max LawnSite Silver Member
    from georgia

both are great machines. i have had both. i stuck w/ exmark b/c of dealer support. scags are great, but the local dealer is a butthole.
  6. iceman22

iceman22 LawnSite Member

Thanks for the input. I would have looked at the gravely, but I'm not aware of any dealers nearby. Good to know that the 25 kohler will be more than adequate for the 60" deck. I really like the exmark as and tiger cub equally as well and would prefer the 60" deck. My decision just got a little tougher after shown the leftover wildcat w/ 52" deck and 25 hp kawasaki. Have to decide whether to go with a 60" deck or step up to a slightly better model w/ hyd. cooler, better seat, 25 kaw, and the smaller deck. It will come down to what I can get the best deal on and probably most important, dealer support.