Need advice on how to eliminate poison ivy frm yard

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by ShawnDH, May 23, 2008.

1. ShawnDH

ShawnDH LawnSite Member

I just discovered that one of the vines I've been fighting in my yard is Poison ivy. I found a aireal root going up a tree about 13ft that had grown into a huge plant at the top. there's also or bunch of little shoots in my straw bed where my flowers are. I've been pulling this stuff for years (not knowing it was poison ivy) and never had a reaction til this month. How do I get rid of it?

2. bglawncommand

bglawncommand LawnSite Member
    from Chicago

Roundup FAST!!!!!!

3. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

I agree with the Roundup advice.

But more specifically, I'd recommend cutting these vines off with a lopping shears at about 4"-6" off the ground, and then literally painting the exposed 'stumps' with Roundup mixed at 2 to 3 X the normal spraying strength.
    This process may have to be repeated a couple of times, maybe this fall and again next spring, until you finally deprive all of the poison ivy root system(s) in your yard the 'food' it needs to survive.

So be diligent...and keep your eyes peeled later for those "leaves of three...." :)
    But don't forget to show the rest of your family EXACTLY what it looks like, so they can keep out of it in the meantime.

4. nmurph

nmurph LawnSite Senior Member
    from ga

a couple more thoughts on poison ivy..... you don't want to cut it with your string trimmer as it can spray the urushiol on you. you don't want to burn it, as the fumes can carry the urusiol into you lungs...major bad... and be careful with the dead plant, as the urushiol can remain active for several years.
    painting the stump is the best way to deal with larger vines. chop them into and leave them attached to the tree. then coat the stump with glyphosate.

5. Marcos

Tordon RTU by PBI Gordon is a real good product for the pros who do lots of 'land clearing' type projects; looking to get rid of invasive non-native species especially.
    But it's also neat for farmers and larger property owners who have bucco miles of fence line to help keep them clear of crud like poison ivy / kudzu vines, japanese bush honeysuckle, russian/autumn olive, muliflora rose, etc. etc...

Since it's a "ready to use" (RTU) formulation...there's no mixing of the product.
    So "painting", or (very carefully) spraying only freshly cut stumps with it ....is it's only practical use.

And it's got a nice blue tracker dye already included...so you can see exactly what you've done, and what you haven't.

6. Rtom45

Rtom45 LawnSite Senior Member

Are you sure its poison ivy? If you've been pulling it for years and never had a reaction, it may be something else (virginia creeper comes to mind). You may have gotten a reaction to poison ivy you contacted somewhere else. Its also possible that this is poison, some people develope a reaction after several to many exposures. In either case, the advice given above will remove the plant, you will have to be persistent it sometimes takes repeated applications, especially with roundup.

7. nmurph

nmurph LawnSite Senior Member
    from ga

i think Tordon is a restricted use herbicide, so a HO is unlikely to be able to get it. also, it is likely much more expensive than glyphosate. a $45 gal of glyphosate will go a LOOOOOOOONG way in a spray bottle. we usually mix glyphosate (i think that is for the 48% concentration) at 50/50 with water and spray it on the stump when we are trying to do regrowth control after we cut oaks on our property.

8. Marcos

Over the years we've found that Tordon RTU packs a much stronger punch than glyphosate alone...especially when combating the dreaded bush honeysuckle and autumn olive here in the Midwest in pasture lands, fencelines, etc.

Tordon RTU is not a restricted use pesticide (RUP) item, outside of the seemingly standand NY & CA restrictions.

http://www.cdms.net/ldat/ld1R5005.pdf

It's a good thing, too...that it can be bought over-the-counter at places like Tractor Supply.
    We need all the ammo we can get, with as many larger landowners applying it, to have any chance at all at making a dent in the jap honeysuckle scourge.