need advice on how to speed up my crews

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tap28, May 30, 2004.

1. tap28

tap28 LawnSite Member

I have been overseeing two 2 man crews for 3 months and just the other day was told by vice president of company to get them to double amount done in a day and to do in less days so we can bring on new customers

2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

motivational speeches, offer bonuses for speed and quality, get more efficient equipment, teach them how to "flow" on properties and to work as a team.

welcome to the site by the way

3. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Start by watching and timing everything each person is doing. Find were they can do better. Find were they are killing time. Are they walking all over properties with trimmers because they didn't do it effeciently to start with? Etc. List goes on.

4. JKOOPERS

JKOOPERS LawnSite Bronze Member

maybe come up with a better route from start to finish

5. tap28

tap28 LawnSite Member

Not able to get new equipment Would like a 48" toro to fill out my crews. Right now we have 1 48" scag, 136" exmark, 1 36" walkbehind belt driven scag and 21 toros

6. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

how big (on average) are the properties that you maintain?

7. tap28

tap28 LawnSite Member

right now I am working on a better route for the crews have a few properties that are not wanting to change. Donot know if I Will just tell good bye or will keep on original day

8. tap28

tap28 LawnSite Member

12k-15k average size

9. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

Does this sound completely nuts? Is it possible to pay by the hour and by the job? For instance, $6.00 per hr and $6.00 per job. Thereby pitting an employees desire to goof off against his desire to earn more money.

I realize that paying strickly by the hour could encourage laziness and strickly by the job could encourage sloppy work. I just thought making the two statagies compete might work. Just a thought.

10. barringtonbrothers

barringtonbrothers LawnSite Senior Member

A big size 12 double e boondocker up the wazoo always works for me, its just hard to reach around to my own wazoo at times.