Need advice on Lesco PreM

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by 92Dawg, Apr 27, 2005.

1. 92Dawg

92Dawg LawnSite Member

I live in Middle TN and have fescue lawn- put down lesco pre-m in late Feb and was advised to re-apply again 6-8 weeks later. Question is, I already have plenty of broadleafs and some crabgrass, should I save the remaining pre-m for late fall and go ahead and weed n feed for the rest of spring and summer? Thanks in advance-

2. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

If applied correctly, you should not have much crabgrass. You can apply pre M anytime you want as long as the maximum a.i. for the year is not exceeded. Splitting your application helps extend the time of your coverage. I would re-apply the other half as long as you are following the label. Pre M will not do anything for broadleaf weeds. For these you needs a post emergent herbicide like Trimec, momentum, etc. The point I am making above is, are you positive that it is crabgrass???

3. 92Dawg

92Dawg LawnSite Member

Thanks Marko- Actually, I've identified the weed as tall fescue instead of crabgrass. I guess I'll just spray a small amount of roundup directly into the heart of the clump without hitting the surrounding grass, wait until it dies, then yank it out and repair. If I can do one section of the yard at a time I should be able to keep the repairs watered in. Problem is, if I reapply Pre-M that will most likely make my repairs difficult to start from seed...

Any other ideas?

4. marko

Correct, pre-m will stop any seed from growing unless it is something like Tupersan: http://www.gowanco.com/products/Tupersan.htm> I am sure there are others, but this is the one I am familiar with.
    An idea is to cut both ends out of a coffee can and use that as a shield. Unfortunatly the tall fescue is a PITA as it grows so fast and the only defense is a thick turf.

5. 92Dawg

92Dawg LawnSite Member

I think I'll go ahead and put down the Pre-M, since I'd rather have the fescue through the summer than crabgrass. I'll spot treat with roundup and pull dead clumps before overseeding in the fall.

I'm not sure my first Pre-M application did much, we got HEAVY rain the day after application. Some must have stuck around because I got fast green-up. The first batch of Pre-M was bought at Home Depot, I think the 25-0-6. I'll be putting down 13-0-2 this time around so that I'm not mowing twice a week....thinking I should have put it down inthe first place, but hey, it's my first rodeo...

6. marko

You need the water to get the product into the soil. I would put another round down, then start killing off the fescue in summer for re-seeding early fall.