Need advice on long time account...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by chariot, Aug 22, 2003.

1. chariot

chariot LawnSite Senior Member

I have had this commercial account since 1994. I was there working back in June and the people who are leasing there now came and said that their lease ran up in July and they were going to see about having the maintenance done themselves. The owner of the building has always paid for me to mow weekly and do landscape work when he felt needed. To make a long story short, the last two times I have went to mow it was already mowed, I have never been told anything different to do. Should I bill as usual for this since I drove there (about 8 miles one way). Should I go ahead next time if it is not done? Thanks for your input.

2. tramahor

tramahor LawnSite Member

I have several commercial accounts each with a two year contract. If they mow, blow, clean up or due whatever they want I still get paid weather or not I cut a blade of grass. Got to love those contracts. So I love when they due extras,

3. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

I'd say you need to speak to the owner of the building.........
    Why are you guessing?

4. chariot

Who's guessing? I have been told the owner is out of town till the 2nd of September. I had a contract on this for four years while the owner was in the building. Initially he had planned for the people leasing to have this done themselves. I was just doing till they got someone else. I never thought much else about a contract again.

5. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

You need to communicate with the owner or renter before billing anyone. You don't want to make a foolish move based on mis-communication.

6. GLAN

GLAN Banned

I think you answered it yourself

You said you had a contract with the owner for 4 years. OK when does that end?

And then you say this

"Initially he had planned for the people leasing to have this done themselves. I was just doing till they got someone else. I never thought much else about a contract again."

According to what your saying. You might have rights to continue and be paid based on the 4 year contract with the owner of the building. Pending on when that contract ends/ended.

I think your out of luck. You stated you were only doing till they got someone else. So why are you not that someone else?

7. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

Since the person you had the contract will is out of town you will have to wait until they return. If the contact is still valid and the way it is worded will determine if you get paid or not.

Gravely_Man

8. chariot

Apparently I am not explaining this very well, Sorry. I started mowing this place in 1994 with a one year contract, this was renewed 3 times to make the 4 years. In 1998 the owner moved out and began leasing to current tenants. I was told to continue to mow until they got someone else, the owner was paying me. This is how it had worked till right now. I know I don't have anything to really allow me to keep this account.

I am basically just wondering 2 things: should I get paid anything for driving (8 miles one way) two seperate times? Also, since I have not been told to stop mowing should I go ahead and do it next time? What if I don't go and then in a month they were to call and ask why I was not coming anymore, I could not say because someone else had done it. They would know that they didn't tell me to stop doing it. I have every plan to talk to the owner as soon as possible. I am just stuck right now. Thanks

9. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

let it be if it was cut when u got there move on untill u talk with someone as for the drive time thats on u they will never pay that and u will waste more time trying to get that money

10. GLAN

GLAN Banned

I would go in and talk with the current tennants

Explain to them the situation and the contract you have with the owner.

Explain that the owner is away and that as soon as he gets back you will contact him and that perhaps the 3 of you get together.

I doubt if they are paying less rent right now doing it themselves.

Anyway you look at it you need to talk with all parties