1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Need Advice on new lawn installation - Cleveland, Ohio

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by atomarchio, Jun 12, 2008.

1. atomarchio

atomarchio LawnSite Member

I recently moved into new construction in Cleveland, Ohio and will be installing a new lawn next week. My lot is 1 acre.

I am trying to decide between seed/straw or spending $1000 more for hydroseed. Both contractors quotes are 2" of top soil at 170 yards.

Is it worth the extra cost to go with Hydroseed? If so, what should I be looking for in the details to make sure the right materials are being used?

I am wondering if I will get cheated with a low quantity seed or top soil?

Please let me know. Thanks.
  2. Rtom45

Rtom45 LawnSite Senior Member

You can make random measurements after the topsoil has been spread to make sure you have gootten what the contract called for. As for the quality, you should have a soil lab test it ahead of time. Make sure the contract stipulates any amendments needed. As for the seed, I would suggest hydroseed. You can ask the contractor to mix the tank on site, that way you can verify whats being added to the tank. Make sure all products being added to the tank have labels attached (especially the seed). Typically it will be lime, fertilizer, seed, and mulch.
  3. atomarchio

atomarchio LawnSite Member

So most people here would agreee that Hydroseed is better than Seed/Straw then?

What about the top soil? Does that vary from place to place?
  4. jkason

jkason LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, topsoil does vary from place to place.

Up here in the Northeast, we have from 4" to 8" of topsoil, then sandy subsoil (mostly), then rock below that.

When travelling to NC (Chatrlotte), I've seen an inch of topsoil with a foot of red clay as a subsoil - who knows what's under that.

With grass, I think it's better to have more topsoil than less, as the root system for the grass will expand to take up the space.
  5. mngrassguy

mngrassguy LawnSite Silver Member

Hydroseed is much better then seed/straw. The more topsoil the better. It will retain water/fertilizer better and develope a better root system.