Need advice on new lawn, Richmond, VA

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by ejr, May 1, 2006.

1. ejr

ejr LawnSite Member

I moved into a new home in Janaury, 2006. The yard was sodded with fescue. As it has been a dry spring, I have been watering daily (20 minutes on large zones, 15 on small zones) for the last 6 weeks. I also put down some starter fertilizer in the spring as well as as some crab grass pre-emurgent (I think putting down pre-emergent on new sod might have been a mistake).

In any case, my back yard is growing great. It has greened up and thickened up nicely. It is growing fast. However, the front yard is not growing well. It greened up nicely. But it is not growing fast and is still very thin.

The difference in the back and front is like night and day despite both getting identical care. The front yard (that is not growing well) gets A LOT more sunlight.

Any thoughts as to what I can to in order to get the front to thicken up and grow? Overseed? Hit it again with fertilizer? More water? These are just guesses. I sure would appreciate some adivce.

2. dKoester

dKoester LawnSite Gold Member

Put down some Rebels grass seed and keep it watered a few minutes everyday till the seeds germinate.The grass seed might not germinate due to the crabgrass preventer being put down. Read the bag and then you will be able to determine when to put the seed down. if the ground is dry then you need to put down alot more water than 20 minutes worth. Don't water at night can cause a fungus problem. Our sod farm waters in the morning and at noon never any later.

3. Talon1189

Talon1189 LawnSite Member

Place some empty cans around your front lawn. Water 1 inch a week throughout the growing season. Seed will not grow because of the pre-emergent crabgrass treatment :cry: Has the sod taken root yet? Can you supply a picture for us to look at? Good Luck! :)