Need advice on protecting walls of enclosed trailer

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by DiPop, Oct 26, 2013.

1. A. W. Landscapers  Inc.

A. W. Landscapers Inc. LawnSite Bronze Member

I like the diamond plate idea.

2. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

diamond plate would like nice, but it's totally unnecessary.

These trailers are designed to be used for what they are being used for... putting machinery inside them.

I have never used an enclosed trailer for mowers, but the number of box trucks I have used for this purpose in fleets with countless variable employees over the years is staggering... never once did we have issues with the inside of the trailers.

Ditto goes for every Uhaul/penske truck out there.

I did have an enclosed trailer for my snow machines, until I sold it last winter.
    Let me tell you, if ANYTHING was going to tear up the inside of the trailer it would be hot dog riders, on 170 hp sleds coming in sideways, slipping allover half melted snow at 4000 rpms with razor sharp carbides instead of tires...

Seriously... it's a non issue.

I sold the trailer for a $100 less than I bought after using it for a year... it's all good.

(I just mooch every one else's trailer instead now)

3. DiPop

DiPop LawnSite Member

Well thanks for the input I'll have to think about if it's worth or not
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. ducnut

ducnut LawnSite Bronze Member

The trailer should be lined in plywood and will resist occasional bumps and such. Is yours not lined?

You need some type of tie-down system for your machines. Are you not planning on using one?

My setup. I rarely have the small ZTR onboard and have my pushers up there, strapped to the FasTrap chocks.
    [​IMG]

5. ncknaklawns

ncknaklawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

6. ducnut

Thank you.

That stuff is all Gladiator product. I added a metal rod below each track and just made up some cheap bungees to hook from there to each "S" hook. That keeps tension on the hook, so the pieces stay hung. Vertically hanging things made much more sense than the common racks. I can enter through the side door and just grab what I need. Horizontal racks would've meant using up an entire wall for just a few handhelds. If the mower(s) are loaded, getting to that stuff would be a major PITA. All my rakes/shovels/etc are down that right wall. I still have the left wall for more tools, in the future. Plus, Gladiator offer a huge assortment of hooks that allow hanging just about anything.

7. A. W. Landscapers  Inc.

I really like your setup. I'm doing something very similar with my 7' x 16' trailerÂ…I have shelves where you have your wall cabinet and I have my trimmers and edgers in the same spot. My backpack blower is on the right as soon as you come up the ramp. I'm using hooks I found at Home Depot. As soon as I get it all done I'll post some pictures.

8. A. W. Landscapers  Inc.

Is that just paint on the floor or did you put something else down?

9. ducnut

I put mine up front, because I wanted to be able to close up my trailer, when the mowers are reloaded, and work out of one door. I never leave my rear door down, as I don't want people driving by seeing everything. I mow in some less-than-stellar neighborhoods. One LCO had the wheels stolen off the opposite side of his trailer, when he went around back of a property. I installed splined lugs on my complete outfit, to help alleviate that. Places like that sway the closed versus open trailer argument.

That's Pittsburgh Paints Revitalize coating. It's very thick, like a milkshake, and can be mixed in a limitless number of colors. It contains anti-slip media and is extremely durable. It's designed to coat wood decks that have a compromised surface. It'll fill cracks, holes, etc. I oil-base primed and painted the walls and brought the Revitalize up the wall a couple inches to seal that joint and the floor. I regularly scrub out the trailer with soap and water. The lines you see in the pic are residue left from hauling 288 landscape edgers. Anyway, I paint for a painting contractor, part time, and we've used about everything on everything. This stuff truly works, I really like the product, and would highly recommend it.

This is emptied out. My backpack sprayer, now, hangs under the cabinet.
    [​IMG]

10. A. W. Landscapers  Inc.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2013