Need Advice on Replacing My Retaining Wall

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by dotbowels, Mar 12, 2011.

1. Lefet

Lefet LawnSite Bronze Member

Ya gotta love lawnsite!!! :weightlifter:
  2. dotbowels

dotbowels LawnSite Member

Appreciate all of the excellent advice. DVS thanks for the point by point they will be very helpful as far as things to look for in any bids. Dorothy
  3. DeereHauler

DeereHauler LawnSite Senior Member

Rather than the BBB, which is a complete and total waste, get the contractors to give you a list of references/past clients they have done similar work for. I realize that it all comes down to the install, and longevity, and the newer installs may not show any failures yet. But a contractor can still offer you all the proper material, the engineering, and great price, but if they can't give you a list of customers that were satisfied with the work they did, theres a problem.

I have taken potential clients to job sites, and to past installs so they see our workmanship. Most clients aren't concerned with how the process goes, and thats what leads to contractors taking advantage of them, but if my clients want to know every step, down to what batteries we use in our lasers, then so be it, there shouldn't be anything to hide.
  4. dotbowels

One of the bidders said he doesn't use geogrid because he uses VERTICA PRO® RETAINING WALL SYSTEM, BEVELED FACE and it isn't needed. Should I scratch this bidder off the list? Thanks Dorothy
  5. FLCthes4:11-12

FLCthes4:11-12 LawnSite Senior Member

If you like him just say you want geo-grid or no job! The hacks on this site can be just as dangerous as the ones that you have had look at your job.
  6. dotbowels

Kind of sad out of 4 companies only 2 said geogrid is needed and of those 2 only 1 said he takes out permits. Kind of sad. Dorothy
  7. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

I guess you found your man then! Let us know if you have any other questions.