Need advice on small grass install...

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Charlie Sierra, Mar 19, 2007.

1. Charlie Sierra

Charlie Sierra LawnSite Member

Hi Guys,

I have to bid on a tiny backyard to get some grass going where there is none.

The area is approx. 400 sq. ft. and is very shady and hard packed dirt with nothing growing there currently.

The customer is a nice gent and over the phone said it might take scraping three inches off the top and bringing in new soil. I came up with a figure including the rental of a dingo to do the scraping. I gave him the number and we both laughed at the cost per square foot :laugh:.

Here is what I am thinking of doing and need your advice:

1. rake out 1-2 yards of sand over the area;
    2. till sand in and break up soil with 6 hp tiller;
    3. rake out 2 yards of top soil over the area;
    4. seed;
    5. starter fert;
    6. apply a few bales of straw and water (client has been informed of need to continue watering but you know how that goes).

Questions:

1. you think this will work (I know it is hard to say without seeing it, maybe I can post a picture)?

2. what type of seeds should I use?

3. any alternate scenarios I should consider?

Thank you in advance for your input,

William

2. kkoss

kkoss LawnSite Member

first you should look at why isn't grass or anything else for that matter growing?? because you don't want all that time,money,and effort wasted, if it's real shady, or if you have really big trees near by, then its a waste of all the above, but what plan you have sounds like a good one, you really don't need the dingo, a tiller and stiff rake sounds good, he's probley lookin at around a couple hundered dollars when it's all said and done
    good luck

3. cward

cward LawnSite Member

You are on the right course. You have forgotten one very important thing. You need a SOIL SAMPLE. That may answer kkoss' first question of why grass isn't growing there. Contact your local agriculture extension office and they can help you with the soil sample plus they are usually a wealth of knowledge.

4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Don't you guys have sod up there....simply take a tiller and break it up add some compost type of additive and lay the sod. Total cost should be less than $300 since it is less than a pallet of sod. A Dingo:dizzy:

5. BW Landscaping

BW Landscaping LawnSite Member

i agree with hess. try doing sod that will be the easiest and fastest way to get the grass. But being that there is a problem growing grass in this area, maybe you and the homeowner can sit down and go over some nice paths or flower beds or removal of some of the trees.