1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Need advice on strange request for services!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TaylorLandscapingLLC, May 20, 2013.

1. TaylorLandscapingLLC

TaylorLandscapingLLC LawnSite Member

So a guy down the street from me stopped by and asked if I would mind taking care of him once (1) service a month. I politely relayed to him that im uninterested in doing so as it would cause undo wear and tear on my equipment all so he could save money on getting his yard cut. He said no thats not what he meant. He meant he would cut it once and I would cut it once to satisfy the Bi weekly service regimen. I was kind of stunned but i went ahead and said ....ok. my question is, as long as the grass is getting cut every 2 weeks, should i care if im only doing it once? i really dont see anything wrong with it other than if i were a bigger outfit it might be hard to work his odd request into my schedule. however, im not a big outfit and can keep up with the once a month routine so i dont see it as an issue really. as long as it doesnt exceed 2 weeks before a cut i should have nothing to worry about right? Hes an older gentleman and wants to do his own yard but he walks with a cane and i guess doing it every 2 weeks might be a bit tough for him. The way i see it is he will eventually get so worn out in this florida heat that it will probably lead to a biweekly account anyways. either that or he will realize that he cant uphold his end of the deal and ill have to confront him on it. thoughts please.
  2. Joey waid

Joey waid LawnSite Member

I'd be worried on how crappy he cuts his laws versus you. I have a case similar to yours. He leaves spots un cut and butchers the rest.
  3. TaylorLandscapingLLC

one thing that crossed my mind was that he may start to trail off on the frequency or quality. I think hes thinking he can save a few bucks if i go and spruce it up every month, then he just maintains it. like it wont be too much work for him. I may be asking for an uncomfortable situation but thats why i asked here. thanks for the post. how is business in warner robins? i have a few friends stations at the Air force base there. also all my family is in griffin and locust grove.
  4. hi_speedreed

hi_speedreed LawnSite Senior Member

I'd pass but I also passed on all new requests for EOW services this year. I dont believe you will be happy doing this. It will become a stop you dread. Lets just say it's a $50 account. Is $50 a month really worth the hassle?
    Posted via Mobile Device
  5. Joey waid

Joey waid LawnSite Member

I've been blessed, Ive got more work than I can do, but some how it gets done. There's work for all ten thousand of us lawn care company's. I try to stay on the land scaping side. As long as this base stays open we all here will be set for years.
  6. OakNut

OakNut LawnSite Platinum Member

This is the best solution posted thus far.
  7. nortonlawncare

nortonlawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I have a lawn like this. It started off as a one week then one week me, that ended quick and it turned to just me. It has turned around quite a bit I now go every week and I do his sons place as well as his commercial account
    Posted via Mobile Device
  8. TaylorLandscapingLLC

haha i hear ya joey. everybody and their brother has a mower and a trailer and calls themselves a business. just today a guy at tractor supply told me he was considering starting his own business. I said go ahead, but if you charge $25 a yard before you even see it you will be out of business in about 3 weeks. then i told him go get your license and insurance. charge accordingly and you will wade through the under cutters that seem to pop up like weeds then die just as quick as they sprouted. do it right and ill be your friend. he said "sounds good". i doubt ill see him on a route anytime soon.:cool2:
  9. Valk

Valk LawnSite Silver Member

Agreed. Accounts that are dreaded sour a day.
    Guessing this guy doesn't trim or sweep either. Hey, if you like him and enjoy doing him a favor by helping him out, then by all means put him on your schedule...otherwise, this has PITA partially written on it already.
  10. TaylorLandscapingLLC

i didnt really get a solution out of that post.:laugh: it was more like a "business is doing good here" answer to my question in the previous post. lol. *trucewhiteflag*