Need advice on strange request for services!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TaylorLandscapingLLC, May 20, 2013.

1. TaylorLandscapingLLC

TaylorLandscapingLLC LawnSite Member

you are right, herler. however, I could use another account and if all went to plan, the money would be good for me. its not a lot to some but every little bit helps when you are a single man operation. i guess i just have to weather the storm as of now and see where it leads me. if things go astray, i dont have any qualms with cutting it off. I think its a mix of he just wants to save some cash, and he still wants to do something around his house even though hes partially disabled.

2. Blades Lawn Maintenance

Blades Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Baton Rouge, La

If he doesnt do the trimming (which he probably doesnt) just charge him extra. Me personally I wouldn't mess With it. To much hassle.like someone said he is probably going to missing spots left and right and then you have to come behind him to get them.

3. gcbailey

gcbailey LawnSite Silver Member
    from WV

if you have people asking for services and they are willing to work around your schedule and it's on your route or area for the day, the way I see it is, it's just an extra dollar.

I know several instances over the years we've had neighbors come out while we were at one property and ask us to cut theirs once, or tell us they would be on vacation next week and would we mind getting theirs. A lot of them have turned into regular clients.

4. Joey waid

Joey waid LawnSite Member

The way I see most things is, if you can make someone love you than they are going to tell others and so on. I'm all the time picking up non costomers pine straw and cutting hanging limbs and all sorts of little things. From this They all want me to give them cards to give other non costomers. I get a lot of good paying one time jobs due to my kindness. My company's name is I care lawn care for a reason.

5. Valk

Valk LawnSite Silver Member

You may derive a lot of personal satisfaction from helping him out...can't knock that.
    I love working for older folks (most of the time). They have a pretty good feel for honest/hard work and are generally appreciative.
    IFF this doesn't work out well, then just move on. In today's economy, he'll find someone else.

6. Caddyshack Lawn Care

Caddyshack Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

I've had requests identical to this, only we have to mow on at least a weekly basis up here. 100% of the time they quit mowing when it's their turn. Half the time they won't hire me to do it during their weeks - and I have to drop them. The other half of the time they're glad to have me take over all the mowing. At this point you have absolutely nothing to lose to trying it out.

As for them not trimming, blowing...no problem. Trimming doesn't take any longer if it's not done every time (and is my favorite part of the job).

7. TaylorLandscapingLLC

TaylorLandscapingLLC LawnSite Member

I think you're right. its worth a shot. the worst that can happen is he doesnt hold up his end and i end up leveling with him. he will either hire me full time or take over for himself. either way i have an opportunity to turn this into a positive account. i guess we will see how it pans out!

8. Caddyshack Lawn Care

Caddyshack Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

I like your website. Add some more pictures of freshly manicured lawns, maybe some quotes from notes that folks have put in with their pmts to you.

Nicely done.

9. Blade Runners

Blade Runners LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't see what the big deal is here. It is either yes, no, or yes until the guy sticks you with high grass to cut or some other unforseen issue. It's not really worth spending more than 30 seconds thinking about. If you take the account and he sticks you, tell him politely that you won't be able to provide further service for whatever reason. Just try to leave on good terms.