Need advice on trimmer purchase

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by BSnyder, Apr 24, 2006.

1. BSnyder

BSnyder LawnSite Member

I'm looking to buy a line trimmer that I'll use only on my property and my mother's. Won't be cutting anything really tough - just regular grass and edging along the sidewalks. I'm willing to spend up to $200. I definately want a 2-stroke trimmer that's relatively easy to start. I want a 2-line bump feed head but I don't want to have to change or upgrade the one the trimmer comes with - I want a trimmer that comes with a good head to begin with. I have Stihl, RedMax, Tanaka, Shindaiwa, Kawasaki and Echo dealers nearby. I know whatever I get will probaly be overkill for homeowner use but I'd rather get something really good that'll last at least 10 years. So, what do you think I should get? Thanks!

2. Tanaka

Tanaka Inactive

Tanaka is included in the choices!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-MW

P.S. Take a look at the TBC-225.

3. BSnyder

BSnyder LawnSite Member

Thanks Mark but it appears to be a few bucks out of my budget.
    Any other recommendations, anyone?

4. NEPSJay

NEPSJay LawnSite Senior Member

shindaiwa.....

5. Dint

Dint LawnSite Member

For what u are going to be using one for, go to Home Depot and check out the Home Lights. I like them, they are light weight and well ballanced. U can change the knob on the head for $ 4.oo and not have to change the whole spool head. I drill mine out to except 105 string. I prefer the straight shaft. For $98 hard to go wrong. Have 4 years on my present one, still runs great. Trim a small cematery plus my other lawns.

6. BSnyder

BSnyder LawnSite Member

could your possibly elaborate???

7. BSnyder

BSnyder LawnSite Member

I'll take a look - The latest Consumer Reports ranked the Homelite UT20004 #6 and a "Best Buy." The Stihl FS 45 and FS 45c were #1 and #2. Echo GT-200R was #3 and Echo SRM-210i was #4.

8. NEPSJay

NEPSJay LawnSite Senior Member

shindaiwa t-230 or t-270, t-230 cost me less than 250.00 last year....

9. Dependable Mowing

Dependable Mowing LawnSite Member

I will tell you that all of our 2-cycle shindaiwas have been almost maintenance free with the exception of an occasional puller spring going out, which is easily fixed. We use T270s and 272s, all with Stihl 2 line heads. If you go with a Shin., I would recommend the T260. If that's too much, try the T230.

10. BSnyder

BSnyder LawnSite Member

Thanks. Anyone have an opinion on the Shindaiwa 22T "HomePro¬ô Grass Trimmer?" Echo SRM-210i or GT-201R? Stihl FS45C? What are the major differences between these? Pros and cons or each? Thanks everyone for your help.