1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Need advice on trimmer purchase

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by BSnyder, Apr 24, 2006.

1. BSnyder

BSnyder LawnSite Member

I'm looking to buy a line trimmer that I'll use only on my property and my mother's. Won't be cutting anything really tough - just regular grass and edging along the sidewalks. I'm willing to spend up to $200. I definately want a 2-stroke trimmer that's relatively easy to start. I want a 2-line bump feed head but I don't want to have to change or upgrade the one the trimmer comes with - I want a trimmer that comes with a good head to begin with. I have Stihl, RedMax, Tanaka, Shindaiwa, Kawasaki and Echo dealers nearby. I know whatever I get will probaly be overkill for homeowner use but I'd rather get something really good that'll last at least 10 years. So, what do you think I should get? Thanks!

2. Tanaka

Tanaka Inactive

Tanaka is included in the choices!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-MW

P.S. Take a look at the TBC-225.

3. BSnyder

BSnyder LawnSite Member

Thanks Mark but it appears to be a few bucks out of my budget.
    Any other recommendations, anyone?

4. NEPSJay

NEPSJay LawnSite Senior Member

shindaiwa.....

5. Dint

Dint LawnSite Member

For what u are going to be using one for, go to Home Depot and check out the Home Lights. I like them, they are light weight and well ballanced. U can change the knob on the head for $ 4.oo and not have to change the whole spool head. I drill mine out to except 105 string. I prefer the straight shaft. For $98 hard to go wrong. Have 4 years on my present one, still runs great. Trim a small cematery plus my other lawns.

6. BSnyder

BSnyder LawnSite Member

could your possibly elaborate???

7. BSnyder

BSnyder LawnSite Member

I'll take a look - The latest Consumer Reports ranked the Homelite UT20004 #6 and a "Best Buy." The Stihl FS 45 and FS 45c were #1 and #2. Echo GT-200R was #3 and Echo SRM-210i was #4.

8. NEPSJay

NEPSJay LawnSite Senior Member

shindaiwa t-230 or t-270, t-230 cost me less than 250.00 last year....

9. Dependable Mowing

Dependable Mowing LawnSite Member

I will tell you that all of our 2-cycle shindaiwas have been almost maintenance free with the exception of an occasional puller spring going out, which is easily fixed. We use T270s and 272s, all with Stihl 2 line heads. If you go with a Shin., I would recommend the T260. If that's too much, try the T230.

10. BSnyder

BSnyder LawnSite Member

Thanks. Anyone have an opinion on the Shindaiwa 22T "HomePro¬ô Grass Trimmer?" Echo SRM-210i or GT-201R? Stihl FS45C? What are the major differences between these? Pros and cons or each? Thanks everyone for your help.