1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Need advice on trimmer purchase

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by BSnyder, Apr 24, 2006.

1. totallawncare912

totallawncare912 LawnSite Member

stay away from the home pro they are junk, go to your Kawasaki dealer and look at the KTR27 or the KGT27 i recomend the KGT over the KTR due to the solid steel shaft vs the coil shaft either way they are both commercial units and you will be very happy with both and they are both close to your price range. STAY OUT OF LOWES HOMEDEPOT AND WALMART be smart and buy a commercial unit and it will last over 10 years
  2. Dint

Dint LawnSite Member

I would agree if he was looking for something for commercial use. But like his thread say's HOME use. Why spend that kind of money on something u will be using 15 min. a week? Good fuel, clean air and even the cheaper modles will last 10 years.
  3. totallawncare912

i believe the KTR27 is 219.99 and the KGT is 249.99 CHEAP FOR A COMMERCIAL UNIT TO USE RESIDENTIALLY spend your money wisely not foolishly you will not go wrong, the cheap ones may work today and not tomorrow the commercial ones the chances of that are there but slightly
  4. BSnyder

BSnyder LawnSite Member

How big of a difference does a steel shaft make over a flex shaft? I saw that 1 of the Kawasaki trimmers will accept a blade attachment, something I may be interested in using in the future. Are blade attachments strictly for solid shaft trimmers?
  5. totallawncare912

Yes they are alot more durable and can take more of a pounding, The flex shafts do the job yes but are weak and break alot
  6. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I have run Echo for years and you won't be disappointed with either the 2100 or 2300. These units are still straight 2 stroke and I believe both models have two adjusting screws on the carb for changes in temp if that becomes necessary as unit ages. The heads on those units are rock solid no funny business in loading. These units are very light. I would get the 2300 if it is in your budget you may want to add a saw blade or something eventually.
  7. BSnyder

BSnyder LawnSite Member

I decided to go with the Shindaiwa T-230. Spent a little more than I planned but I think it'll be worth it. Local dealer had Kawasaki, Tanaka and Shindaiwa lines. The tanaka TBC-225 was priced at $209 but the controls and hand grip were low budget. Was a toss-up between the Kawasaki and Shindaiwa but they threw in a Speed-Feed head and some line so I went with it. Thanks for all the advice guys.
  8. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

Exactly what experience do you have with the Shindaiwa HomePro units that you can call them junk? The trimmers come with a 6 month commercial use warranty, so that'd be like probably 3 or 4 years worth of residential use in comparrison.
  9. rob7233

rob7233 LawnSite Senior Member

I am interested in how you made the stihl heads fit the shindaiwa units. I had checked on this before but was told that neither stihl or shindaiwa made the appropriate adapters for them. What model of stihl heads are you using ( and prefer) on the shinnys? PM me if you'd like.
  10. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

i bought my echo at home depot. they stock all of the trimmers that echo sells.