Need advice on used exmark

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jak b nimble, Sep 18, 2001.

1. jak b nimble

jak b nimble LawnSite Member
    from Ct.

Hello all,

I'm considering getting into the lawn-care biz part-time, and I figured I'd post here and ask the pros for a little advice/insight.
    Let me start by saying that I've been reading posts here for the past several weeks to learn what I can, and its fantastic that you all (y'all for some of you :) ) share your knowledge like this. Its appreciated.

I finally went to my local exmark dealer today and after telling him my situation, he recommended that I consider a used machine to get my feet wet, before i plunked down some serious cash for a new one. He showed me a Metro HP, 48'', 15hp Kohler.
    It was new last year, and the owner never used it commercially. He told me its got about 10 or 12 hours on it. It looks like its in pretty good shape. He wants $2,400 for it. Said it went for around $3,400 new. Should I consider it? I figure I'll only have 10 or less accounts a week (I work full time).

Also, will my 6 cyl. Dakota have any problems towing a trailer and equipment? (WB mower, blower, trimmer)

Thanks for your help.

jak

2. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

First off, if its only got 10 or so hours on it, it should look virtually new. If it really has those hours on it I would say the price is good. That is a great mower that has years of life in it. With no more lawns than you would have you could be hard pressed to wear this machine out.

Ask him if a warrenty comes with the machine. Do you still get the motor warrenty?

As far as your truck. If you have a small angle iron trailer (10-12 ft) with equipment you should have no problem.

3. jak b nimble

from Ct.

Thanks Hoss,

Unfortunately, the warranty expired. A co-worker has a small lawn care operation, I think I'll ask him to give it the "once-over".

jak

4. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

The motor should have a warrenty. Someone with Kohlers can tell you. I would think 2 to 3 years.

5. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

sounds a little fshy to me but the owner probably just opted to
    go back to LT.offer 1900 and start to leave. its not making him money now and hes looking at keeping it thru the winter. itll be a yr older then. my son is an insurance adjuster and when daddy gets ready to haggle he just sets back and watches a pro at work. gets the deal most every time.good luck an later TM

6. edward hedrick

edward hedrick LawnSite Senior Member

look at your local Lesco center their 48w 15 Kawi v-2 $2300 new.
    seems to be a better choice. I have a 52 Lesco 1996 no problems

7. jak b nimble

from Ct.

Decided to go with a new machine. Thanks for the input.

Jak