Need advice on used Lesco

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mikeklein, Mar 4, 2002.

1. mikeklein

mikeklein LawnSite Member

I am looking at adding a used W/B this season,I do not have much money to play with so I am looking at mowers under $2000.I found a Lesco 54",20hp kohler,I believe it is a hydro.,not sure though.It is on turfquip.com and it is in my areawhich is rare!It has 1144 on the clock though,but they are only asking $1495.Also there is a 1990 Toro wheelhorse 60" ZTR with new 24hp Onan engine with 250 on the clock,they are asking $2400. Both seem to look allright by the picture.Any advice on either mower would be helpful.----Mike

2. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Bronze Member

Im sure you are aware that the hour meter could have been disconected on that toro...Either which way I would look into both and see how well each runs...how often and what has been serviced.

3. keifer

keifer LawnSite Senior Member

Just my two cents and they dont mean much but that seems like a lot of hours. plus on the toro I thought onan went out of business.

4. Bill Davis

Bill Davis LawnSite Senior Member

This is obviously my opinion but Lesco= no dealer service, a mower that was bought from another company and painted and then sold to you and the mower really isn't that great to start with!!:eek:

5. edward hedrick

edward hedrick LawnSite Senior Member

I own a 52 Lesco wb w 17 Kawi belt drive. The 52 Hydro two adds

up looks better. Maybe an owner/operator vs larger co. Mine looks like that one except belt dr. Its about a 96 or 97. Made
    by Lesco before MTD.

6. That Lesco has a great price on it.

The Toro is an antique. No parts what so ever. They got sued over that mower, and then inturn bought eXmark soon after.

Lesco=no dealer service?

But wait you can find parts for that thing at almost any mower dealer.

7. captdevo

captdevo LawnSite Senior Member

spend a little more and get yourself a ztr....

8. Loosestrife

Loosestrife LawnSite Member
    from PA

Perhaps in your area, but in our are, Lesco provides better service than any other supplier.

While we don't own any Lesco mowers, we do have a couple of other pieces of their equipment, and the parts and service from them is second to none. I guess it just depends on your area...?

9. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree to thoughly check it out before you buy. Have you checked with your local dealers to see what they might have in your price range? The Lesco in our area sells mowers but doesn't service them there. If you need service they send it out. To me that would be very inconvienent. I like local sales and service. Good luck.

10. C4chris70

C4chris70 LawnSite Senior Member

I would stay away from the Lesco. In our area, I was told by the Lesco dealer that they have a mechanic that floats between several stores. In my opinion, this could create a lot of down time.