1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Need advice on walk behind purchase

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by archer39, Apr 26, 2011.

1. archer39

archer39 LawnSite Member

I have been looking around for a while for a walk behind and i really need one soon. The three that appeal to me are:

2009 exmark viking 48" with 1500 hours for 2500 cash. The price seems a little high for 1500 hours. This is for sale at a friends work and is a trade in from the Brickman company. They trade in there equipment every 2 years and are serviced by Trumbauers where my friend works on a regular preventive schedule. If anything goes wrong with it in the first 50 hours of service they will cover it.

Next is a 48" scag pro-v with 98 hours for 3500. Being sold at a local service center for a landscaping company that is phasing out mowing. looks to be in excellent condition.

Next is a 48" scag pro-v with 190 hours for 3,999. This is a dealer demo with a full warranty.

I worked for a lawn mowing company for 7 years and currently moved on to a office job. I am looking to buy such a mower for my grandmothers yard (2 acres with lots of rocks to go around) and about 5-10 other yards a week. I miss working outside everyday when i am sitting in the office. I have ran a lot of different types equipment in my 7 years working for the lawn mowing company. I only used a scag pro-v for about 10 hours when we had one as a loaner for a week but i differently like the controls of the pro-v a lot more. A cheaper belt driven mower probably make the most sense but i am spoiled using the hydro stuff for so long.

2. Roachy

Roachy LawnSite Member
    from NJ

Prices are going to be higher now since the season has already started. The exmark seems to have too many hours. The scag you listed for $3500 seems to be decent. I found mine on craigslist before the season and got a great deal. Lot of junk posted on craigslist though. Some decent stuff on ebay too.