Need advice on walk behind selection

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mo Green, Jan 18, 2005.

1. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

I am looking to buy a new 48" hydro walk behind mower for the upcoming season. Here is what I've looked at thus far.

Lesco 48" 17hp Kaw, elec. start, fixed deck, pistol grip-$3599.00

Exmark Viking 48" 15hp Kaw, pull start, ECS controls-$4850.00

Gravely ProH 48" 15hp Kaw, elec start, pro steer, floating deck-$4699.00

I know that there are many other good brands out there, but I am considering these three the most because the dealer support seems to be good. Each have their advantages and disadvantages. The Lesco is much cheaper by far, but I have heard that they are not as durable as the others, and that they can be difficult to get parts for. The Exmark is probably the better built of the three, but also the most expensive. The Gravely seems to be middle of the road with the floating deck and good price. My only concern is that the dealer is probably the least desirable of the three.

Any advice would be appreciated.

2. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

The First 2 are Fixed the last is a Floater...Between Those 3 I'd take the Gravely.

Better Yet a 48"/19hp TracerHP

3. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Just wondering why you call Gravely "middle of the road"? Out of the three you are thinking about I would go Gravely. I am about to purchase another 48" WB and that is what it's gonna be. IMO Exmarks are way over-rated. I demoed a Lazer Z before I bought my Grasshopper and was not impressed at all.

4. Mo Green

Yes the Tracer is nice, but I'm trying to stay under $5000.00.

I'm not saying that the Gravely is middle of the road quality. I'm saying that it is the middle choice of the three when considering all of the options and price.

Sorry for the confusion. :waving:

5. LightningLawns

LightningLawns LawnSite Senior Member

6. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

Spend the eXtra bucks on the TracerHP...You Get Floating Deck...Electric Start..& 19hp is Now Avail. on the 48". It's going to last 5-10yrs.

7. kturf

kturf LawnSite Member

I use the exmark and like it alot the dealer takes good care of me if mine goes down and they have to get parts they give loaners it seems to me that the exmark has a good resale also imo

8. Mo Green

What kind of price tag do they carry?

9. competitiveimageland

competitiveimageland LawnSite Member

with the price of hydro walkbehinds ide just go for a ztr

10. lawncare4u

lawncare4u LawnSite Senior Member
    from S>C>

EX-MARK.....DO-IT :waving: