need advice on ztr

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by madmusic, Jul 2, 2004.

1. madmusic

madmusic LawnSite Member

Hello all!I am a newbie to this site and im looking for advice on the purchase of a new ztr.Price and financing are very important as is qaulity.Only doing 5-7 yards weekly but hope to do more.Right now im using a cub 2135 and im think im ready to step up to the next level.Also I have a 1 year old that takes money to so I would like to keep the price around 5-6 grand.Anything from a 48-54 inch deck,may consider walk-behind upon your advice but the little research I have done tells me to pay a little extra for a rider.

2. samk

samk LawnSite Member

Take a look at lesco you should be able to get the 54 for around 6 grand

3. madmusic

madmusic LawnSite Member

the lesco you are talking about is a walker? I looked at a kubota zg today, liked it but question the 10 gauge deck. is the zg line good mowers?

4. samk

samk LawnSite Member

no thats a z, 23 kawi 54 inch cut my dealer has a price tag on them of 6000 or 6100 that was his asking price. looked at the cub tank with a 27 kohlor last week and was quoted 6800.00.

5. chuckers

chuckers LawnSite Senior Member

scag tiger cub 5999 19 kawi 48 inch deck

6. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Lazer Z as (advantage series). Good basic machine to help get you started. 52" or 61" probably can be bought for 6-7 bills.

7. notforprofit

notforprofit LawnSite Member

Madmusic-

I'm not a lawncare pro, not by any means. But I did stay at a holiday inn last night.:D (couldn't resist). I have spent the last three weeks studying, researching, looking at and sometimes demo'ing 19 different brands. I don't think any were really bad for a homeowner or small commercial operator. However a couple stick out in the price range you mentioned.
    The Yazoo/Kees Mid-max offered a lot of machine for the money. (I wound up buying that one, so I AM biased). The
    scag tiger cub-I demoed, very nice machine. Land Pride ( same as/made by Hustler), which can typically be had for less than the comparable Hustler, and the Kubota ZG series ( If you can get it at the price you said, I was quoted $1200 more or I would have given it a much harder look).
    If I was considering the Cub Tank series, I would first look at the Lesco ( I believe they're identical except for the paint and maybe some very minor differences)-they will be a lot cheaper.
    Hope this helps.

8. sawman65

sawman65 LawnSite Senior Member

hello mad music sounds like you are heading in the right direction
    with the upgrade one question i would like to ask
    what about hills? i live in johnson city TN. not to far from you and we have some bad hills. a walk behind is more verstile you can do the biger yards and still hang on the steep hills. opening you up to do yards you would otherwise have to pass up.
    i sell exmark,hustler and dixie chopper and all have a mower in your price range hustler and exmark have walk behinds but dixie has only riders. its geting late in the year and i am overstocked and will be making some good deals
    give me a call (423)926-3881
    john wilson@chuckmason sales

9. Steve1

Steve1 LawnSite Senior Member

Like everyone told me here when I was first looking - demo, demo, DEMO! Only then can you tell what YOU really like.

A couple of suggestions that you may have already read: don't let price be the only consideration. Look for a nearby dealer that offers superior service. Happiness with a cheap price will fade quickly if you can't get service!

Also, look for a deck that flows grass well - many of the commercial units do that better than others but you have to demo to see what works best for you.

Look at the warranty and the ease of servicing the unit, especially when it comes to spindles and high wear units like sharpening blades.

Scag, Toro, Deere, Hustler, exMark, Yazoo-Kees, and Gravely are among the many solid commercial units you will find. Only be demoing and getting some seat time in them will you find what you really want and need for your business.

Good luck!

10. madmusic

madmusic LawnSite Member

Alright,Well I went back to the kubota dealer and he said he would sell me a zg 20 for 5850+tax which works out to be 173 a month. Also he will sell the zg 23 for 6500+tax and it works out to be 193 A month. both of these payments reflect 36 month 0 interest. Can anyone give me info on spindles and wheel motors and anything else to consider on these mowers. the financing is very intising and that will be important to me. is there any other manufactures offering great financing deals on their products.
    Most of my mowing is now residental but I have one commercial
    property i do ,but somewhat limited with the mower i now use. my thinking is that i will be able to do more with a ztr but still trying to justify 6 grand on a mower. this will be a second business to me but i think it will generate positive income and plus i love to mow. Isnt it great that i have a hobbie i get paid to do? i appriciate the advise yall have given me so far but more is needed please. I need professinal mower guidance, thanks again