Need advice please!!!

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by marko, Oct 19, 2003.

1. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

I am starting a Lawn Care Business next year in the Chicago suburbs and was wanting to get some advice. I plan to start out with mowing but would like to add fertilization/weed control to my mowing customers. I did this a couple of years ago in Iowa. I need advice for the equipment etc. In Iowa I had a 200 gallon spray rig mounted on a trailer and a push spreader. I could fill up at home with the water bill being based only on your bathroom count = a set water bill. When I move to Chicago I will be in a residential neighborhood with very limited storage space and neighbors, girlfriend probably frowning on preping in the driveway. I have thought about a ride on spreader/sprayer (low volume) with some sort of water supply tank that I can put in the bed of my truck. Does this sound logical or should I stick with the 200 gallon spray rig? My problem with this is having to haul it around in my truck (cant afford a dedicated trailer, no storage etc.). Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Also what is the approx coverage on the ride on sprayers using Strike 3 Ultra (I dont remember the # Oz per 1,000 SF). I used this in the past and was very pleased at 2 gallons per 1,000 SF with my other sprayer.

Has anyone ever used Pro Source One products. What were your thoughts?

Thanks in advance,

Mark

2. Hamons

Hamons LawnSite Senior Member

I uase prosource one all the time. I love them -- but probably more because of my dealer than because of their products.

I use strike three and quicksilver -- great duo.

I don't like the extra chemicalin strike three ultra clopyralid -- seems more toxic than it needs to be. I thought it was going to be relabeled not ot be used on home lawns anymore.

3. cemars

cemars LawnSite Senior Member

Why don't you just start out with a push spreader and hand cans or a back pack. This is all I used for 3 years. When I reached about a 150 customers and started doing commercial work I added a 400 gallon fiberglass sprayer in a dedicated truck and rented a storage unit and a parking space for about $200 a month. There is alot of profit in the application business and things like water charges and storage shouldn't be much of a issue when you get rolling. I also have a PG ride on and love it, but at $4500 you need to establish some business to justify that kind of expence.

4. Turf

Turf LawnSite Member

Why not seperate yourself from the competion and use low volume sprayer like you said for herbicides but applicate with shielded sprayers like ProLawn or Rogers. You will increase your customer base by advertising yourself as a shielded spray company. You will also minimize possible overspray on ornamentals and vegtable gardens. What do you think?