1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Need Advice Please

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by wadadlianu, May 9, 2004.

1. wadadlianu

wadadlianu LawnSite Member

Hi guys, I am new here and thinking of getting back into the lawn care business. Honestly I havent done it for over 15yrs and so need as much advice as possible. I have done a few searches, but will still ask the questions just in case I missed out on certain info. I am looking at approaching certain bigger companies in regards to maintaining their property (lawn care) Thing is two of them have land in the area of 20-60 acres. I was thinking of buying a Kubota tractor and buying a batwing mower, but decided to just go with a few zero turns (same cost) I was looking at 2 72" zero turns, 2 52" Sentars, 2 smaller walk behinds. My choice on this is for versatility. Presently Dixie Chopper and Gravely are the ones I am looking at for the 72" models. I prefer diesel for economical reasons. I am however open to other suggestions/advice from experienced owners. Question, how do the DC and Gravely machines compare in long duty cutting and cut quality. One of the companies allows their grass to grow quite high before cutting it, so this is something I will have to consider. Thanks in advance

PS I posted this elsewhere but got no replies, so I will try it in this forum. Please feel free to give any advice
  2. mtnlawn

mtnlawn LawnSite Member

I'm not too surprised at the lack of replies- Your message makes it sound like you want to go buy 10 huge mowers and get into business- how are you going to move those suckers around? No small mowing at these places?

1. The Caribbean being a fairly small place- is there a market?

2. I'd approach the bigger companies Before you went out and spent the $$ on the equipment you're talking about. Hopefully you're not talking about golf courses- you'd need alot more than that. If they are large prop management comps- many do the work in house, and you'd still need much more equipment than what you're listing.

It doesn't sound as if you've thought this through- maybe you have, but your message doesn't sound it. I know this isn't the advise you're looking for, but if you sounded as if you had a good plan, probably more people would respond- Good Luck!
  3. wadadlianu

Actually there are other things I know I will have to get. My problem is I am researching what would be needed for my investment. I am looking at schools, government properties, and a few others. Most of these properties are not well manicured, so basically it would just be cutting grass. I know it isnt as easy as just buying the equipment and getting customers with a snap of the finger. Trust me the reason I ask for advice is because this will require a huge investment (atleast to me) I have spoken with one of the companies, and he seems interested. The reason I was looking at the bigger equipment is to be able to cover more acreage. The island isnt that big (108 sq miles) but I do believe there could be a market for this type of work. Once again thanks for answering promptly, and please dont be afraid to be frank
  4. metro-hp_48

metro-hp_48 LawnSite Senior Member
    from TN

wadadlianu, just out of curiosity, and since fuel cost is on the minds of most here, (and increasing everday) how high is fuel there? (not that it's any of my business) Thanks.
  5. wadadlianu

Just alittle over $2.70 USD or in that range. Gas and diesel are the same cost.
  6. metro-hp_48

metro-hp_48 LawnSite Senior Member
    from TN

Not as bad as I would have thought.
  7. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

I'm with mtnlawn,
    Find out how much business and competition there is first,sounds to me as well that a little more investment in your time towards researching available work is neccesary first.
    I could also be wrong,but your are looking at quite an investment to be competitive in the market you are talking about persuing.
    By the way I'm an exmark guy so.........................
  8. wadadlianu

Thanks alot guys. I will be talking with a few people mid next month. Your help was greatly appreciated. The reason I was targeting the bigger accounts, is due to the fact that most of the lawn people there are targeting the hotels and private dwellings. There are quite a few people that do it, but the pay for this sort of work is better there than in the US. Currently I am in Florida and plan on moving back home soon. I am not making near the sort of money I could at home so have decided to go back to what used to pay the bills.