Need advice pricing lawn care business TX

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by WilsonLawnCare, Jun 18, 2008.

1. WilsonLawnCare

WilsonLawnCare LawnSite Member

Hi everybody, just a lurker here that has learned a lot about the lawn care business in the last year from this site. Here's our story briefly. My husband and I bought a lawn care biz from his brother in May of last year. We live in a small town in TX (pop 2300) 15 miles away from a 100,000+ pop city. My husband works full time and we just do lawn care in the evenings and weekends. We absolutely love it, but a dream job/dream house opportunity is in the works and we need to sell because we won't have time to do everything that we have now. I am just looking for a fair price for everything we have, not looking to make a killing. If anyone has suggestions, please help. Here is a list of everything:

04 Chev Z71, loaded, 71,000 miles
    14 foot trailer, gates on end and side, weedeater rack
    05 Gravely 148Z 615 hrs
    1986 Snapper 48" walk-behind, 423 hrs
    33" Cub Cadet walk behind 18.5 hrs (bought '08)
    Honda 21" self propelled variable speed
    Stihl HT100 pole saw
    MS290 Stihl chain saw
    Echo hedge trimmers, 2 echo weedeaters, echo blade edger
    Stihl blower vac(new 08), echo blower(new 08)
    Roundup backpack sprayer

Don't really have any contracts, but about 40 + loyal customers (some weekly, some 10 days, some 2 weeks -we are pretty easy, but we will charge more the taller it is, so people have learned not to let it become a jungle and then call us!) If I can find someone trustworthy and dependable to buy this, I am pretty sure I can convince most of our people to stay. A lot of the yards are here in town, so pretty easy to get to and no time and gas expense hauling the trailer around.
    Any and all advice appreciated. Thanks!

2. WilsonLawnCare

Forgot to add that we grossed about 5000 last month,

Also, our 3 br/2bath 1927 beautiful rock house is for sale, has a garage apartment with a nice shop area (where we store our equipment and hubby works on equipment) water well, gorgeous yard.......80,000

3. WilsonLawnCare

Little more info:

All equipment is 05 or newer, except for the 86 snapper - but that mower works and cuts great -hubby worked on it after we bought it this year from a guy who used to do lawn care but quit and then parked it in his back yard with the goats who promptly chewed all the wiring (has a sulky too)

In the last month we have turned down 8 apartment complexes and a nursing home in abilene, don't have time to do them and I hate driving to abilene, even though it is only 15 miles away.

A person or couple could make some serious money full time with this. Please someone give me some advice and remember I am not wanting to make a huge profit - just need to pay off the pickup and a little bit on all our newer eqpment

4. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

Wish you were out my way

5. WilsonLawnCare

Hey guys! What did I do wrong?!!!!? I was sure I would get some some kind of help from this board (thanks larryinalabama for your reply) I know I have never posted before, but every time I have a question all I have to do is search and I can find what I am looking for. No need to post. I don't have time- (chief weedeater:) , bookkeeper, customer relations, collections, sometimes mower, plus FULL-time mom to 3 kids (ages 3,10,16).

I just browsed through some of the questions yesterday, and a pretty stupid one (he even admits it) gets 15 replies.

I am begging this time for some advice on this. Thanks in advance!

6. JNyz

JNyz LawnSite Bronze Member

25,000.00 if you are lucky, 20k to be more realistic.

7. DaughtryLC

DaughtryLC LawnSite Senior Member

Is there some other comp. that you can approach in your area that might be interested in the accounts? I know if I was working in your area and full time or starting out I would be interested!

If you do find someone REALLY interested show him or her the props. and discuss business.

Just my 2.....

8. WilsonLawnCare

Yeah, We talked to a friend who does this part-time here in our small town, we said 30,000, But I got to thinking, that is just for pu and equipment, not for all the accounts, and I know I can convince 80% or more of our people to stay, maybe more, probably can get contracts, but if I can get someone from our nearby(15 miles) 100,000+ city to buy , I just don't know how ro price it. But the price still stands for our friend, just waiting on financing stuff, but if that fails, I just don't know what to do

9. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

I thinking 40 accounts would be worth around 7000$, I dont know what all that equiptment is worth so 30 k might be the right price.

I once sold 65 accounts and some basic equiptmrnt for 10k

10. WilsonLawnCare

Thanks a bunch who responded, I just needed to know if I was way off base or not.