Need advice ref. buying new zero turn (Brands)

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dw1973, Jul 20, 2006.

1. dw1973

dw1973 LawnSite Member

I am currently looking at John Deere's 717A, Kubota's ZG20 and Exmark's Lazer Z Hp for home use. What ballpark price should I expect to pay for these models? I am curious what others thoughts are on these models and which would you choose amongst them? Thanks!

2. DJL50

DJL50 LawnSite Senior Member

How much ground do you have to mow?

3. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

I would not recomend the Exmark until they work out problems with the new deck. They make an AS series mower with the old style deck I would recomend but it is a full size mower (larger than the Hp).

4. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

So many brands of good mowers, why limit yourself to just those brands? Is there a Hustler dealer there? Scag? Dixie? Grasshopper?

5. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

6. Audrey

Audrey LawnSite Senior Member
    from Pa.

Heck yeah! There's so much out there. If you have the amount of dealers in the area, you could demo from now until the end of August easy if you wanted to. If you're not biased, there's a host of quality machinery to choose from.

I would be surprised if anyone here didn't have their favorites and gave opinions as such. Myself included.
    I rather liked demoing machines. I enjoyed talking with different dealers and seeing what's out there. It's interesting to note how different manufacturers approach the same task or function. Having experience in the field and knowing your likes and dislikes, it will become apparent which features you like and those you could do without. I like to listen to dealers poo-poo other dealers machines. Some of it is actually good information as to problem areas or defects as of late. Take it with a grain of salt, but listen.

I look forward to going through the process again when it comes time to replace my 2001 machine. It's not nearly as bad as shopping for a vehicle. Mower shopping is fun! :) I distinctly remember a few years ago, jumping up and screaming at a car salesjerk that I would rather have a FU%$*** prostate exam than have to buy a new truck. You should have seen the sales manager come sprinting across the showroom. :laugh: Funny now, but boy was I hot! Way too many games. It's not nearly like that with mowers.

Try 'em all! There's also many, many deals to be had. It is most definitely a buyer's market. Don't be in a hurry.

OH! I had tried the Lazer HP. I liked it. It was very awkward at first, coming from a Scag and heavier dampeners. But after a bit, I was cruising right along. It held hills better than my old Tiger (not the new one) and it went through some thick grass pretty well. The cut was nice too. It was the new Triton deck. I liked it because it was also lighter and more powerful than what I was used to. I cannot recall the pricing on the tag of that machine. After I tried the new Scag, the machine testing phase was all over and I never inquired about a price.

Have fun! :)

A

7. 1999frontier

1999frontier LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

I just looked at the John Deere 717A and the Exmark Lazer Z HP a few weeks ago. I was quoted $6,500 for the John Deere and $6,800 for the Exmark. Can someone tell me if those are good prices?