Need ADVICE Tonight!! To buy or Not to buy!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by IrishHank, Nov 7, 2002.

1. IrishHank

IrishHank LawnSite Member

I am considering buying a used Toro Z-Master. It is a 44" cut model 147. The Mower is 5 months old and has 45 hours on it. The guy who wants to sell it is asking $4500.00. I have to let him know in the morning so let me thank you in advance for your opinion. Let me know what you guys think I sould do! Take it or Leave it?

Thanks

2. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

By the model # you gave that's the 17 hp Kawasaki motor on it right?....If you're a big guy, 200+ lbs you will have some problems with the mower just not having enough power to pull you around and cut thick grass QUICKLY. You may not notice it in thin, short grass, but get into the thick tall stuff, you'll have to slow down. It does 8.1 MPH according to Toro's catalog, faster than a w/b, but slower than most ZTR's. It's a Toro, which in my opinion makes it a good mower, just think about

Try to talk the guy down in price based on these concerns.

I was also thinking that you did not say, how long you were considering buting a mower. I would advise against making ANY overnight decisions on which mower to buy. DEMO, DEMO, and DEMO some more.

3. another thing with that 44 you have zero trim side the wheels are as wide as the mowerdeck

4. Brickman

Brickman LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds to me like he is asking close to new price. See if he would take $3900. I had a 36" Toro w/15 HP Kohler. Never had any power problems.

5. Bill Davis

Bill Davis LawnSite Senior Member

no side trim, small motor, fairly high price, and no warranty I would definetly have to pass on this one.

6. ksland

ksland LawnSite Senior Member

Is it a 44" ZTR that you are looking for? What would you use it for? Fenced area? or small lawns? I find when undecided like this I choose to not make a move, very rarely do I regret it. I would regret much more often chances that I was unsure of and took.

7. yardman1

yardman1 LawnSite Senior Member

I would have to agree with Bill Davis on that one. Have you demoed or used any other ZTR mowers? I would just hate for to spend that much money on a mower and in 2 months you ended up hating it, but that is my .02 cents.

Kevin

8. Fvstringpicker

Fvstringpicker LawnSite Fanatic

I've got a Z-master with a 44 inch deck and a 17 hp K. I weigh 200 lbs. So far I haven't had problems with the power but I wouldm't want to go with a much wider deck. As most know, the toro and xmark tractor are the same machine. As for price, Outdoor Products in Columbus Ga was selling this machine new for $5,500 a few months back. I don't think he's going to get better than $4,500.

9. IrishHank

IrishHank LawnSite Member

I know the dealer he bought it from and it sold for 6,100 here in Florida. It has a Kawasaki engine on it (17HP), and keep in mind it is a ZRT not a walk behind. I hate making quick decisions, but If I buy it when the season starts again in March I will pay full boat for it! Plus sales tax. I have used it, but not much. Does anyone have any input as far as performance on the z100 series mowers?

10. Bill Davis

Bill Davis LawnSite Senior Member

The only think that i serously dislike about the Z100 series is the deck. It is a stamp deck and not a welded deck. With some of the things that i have managed to hit with my Exmark I would never buy a stamp deck again for a ZTR. It's your decision though.