1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Need advice - used MTD Pro 54" walk behind for sale

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Budman, Mar 27, 2002.

1. Budman

Budman LawnSite Member

A local mower shop has a used MTD Pro 54" hydrostatic walk behind for sale for $500. It has a 20 HP Kohler on it, and it is a 2000 model 2054F. The catch: It has not been run in a year, and it currently won't start (he says it has water in the gas and needs a carb kit). It is missing the safety levers on the handles for the engine kill switches, but otherwise seems to be intact. Is this worth looking at? I am not stupid enough to plunk down $500 without at least turning the motor over and checking to make sure that it has compression, but there are a lot of other things that could go wrong. Oil did not look milky or excessively dirty. It needs belts on the deck - getting a little frayed. What else do I need to look for? Any way to check the hydrostatic unit without running it? If it has spark when I turn it over, should I be able to get it to start briefly by squirting some starting fluid down the carb throat? Do you all think it is worth the gamble?

Thanks in advance for your insight!!
  2. goodbeus

goodbeus LawnSite Senior Member

A good rule of thumb is to stay away from MTD....they are built for home-owner use, they generally last a summer....and that's cutting your lawn once or twice a week....not very good....if there's water in the gas, there should be a drain plug on the tank, drain the old gas and put in a little new gas...if it's missing the safety levers, you'll want to replace them..it's an accident waiting to happen, they're there for a GOOD reason....personally, I wouldn't plunk down $500.00 for a used MTD, or even a new one....hope some of this info helps ya...
  3. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

MTD generally doesn't have a very good reputation here but you need to remember that this isn't the same degree of mower that goodbeus is talking about. MTD and Lesco did go in together to build the Pro series mowers and while the homeowner MTDs are not worth much the Pro series is a few steps above the homeowner series. There have been some very favorable reports here at Lawnsite about the MTD pro and it's twin, the Cub Cadet Commercial series.

You should absolutely see the mower run before you plunk any money down.