1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Need advice when using edger

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by S man, Sep 6, 2006.

1. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

I have a fcs edger w/ my stihl and need some techniques and advice for using it. I've used others like the echo pe200 and the stihl fc75, but this one has more power and cutting torque. But I am still getting weird results like it's not leaving a clean enough egde and is missing grass. I have the blade in the ground and am going slow. A company I worked for said you can run with it once you get the hang of using it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
  2. S man

Hello. any comments?
  3. stuffdeer

stuffdeer LawnSite Bronze Member

Wow...It seems as your having nothing but problems with all your stuff missing grass?

Are you missing grass when you blow, You might want to check.

All I have to say is, I practically run with my edger, and it is a toro model.

Oh yeah J/k to the comment above
  4. WildWest

WildWest LawnSite Senior Member

Saw you post yeasterday, but wasn't sure what an FCS edger was, did a google and I see now.

It should be working fine. If the RPM's are good, and a fresh blade is on, you should be cutting at a normanl walking pace. You said that you have "the blade in the ground" is that slowing the blade? Are you holding the edger at a slight angle? I tilt my edger to the right so the blade at the grass level is about 3/4 of an inch from the edge that i'm cutting and the end of the blade is actually touching the concrete 4 inches below? Is that understandable?
  5. S man

Actually I'm not. My mowers cut fine and my handhelds are great. I just need some tips like wildwest posted and not b.s.

Yes it is the fc110 beast and is great on new edges. Putting the blade in the ground does not slow it down. It propells you when the blade it too far down. I have gotten better at it everytime I use it. It seems like fine grass is the type it misses compared to st. aug and heavy weeds. And yes the angle is understandable and right. I will try it. Thanks.
  6. stuffdeer

stuffdeer LawnSite Bronze Member

DUDE...I said J/k...And for your info...It meant JUST KIDDING. Jeez.

Oh yeah, and the reason I posted this is, you had nothing but trouble from the Toro when you got it, so.
  7. captken

captken LawnSite Bronze Member

Hello nola,

I used to live on Royal Street in the Marigny when I worked on boats. I left and retired from boats in 2001. Live near Memphis now.

Have been an LCO since. Have gotten quite sucessful. I haven't posted much here lately. But I want to help.

Try pulling BACK as you are edging. Go foward and pull back. Works well for properties that haven't been edged in a while.

The rotation of the blade will pull the machine [and you] foward.

By pulling back, against the rotation, you can clean out the groove better. Edge foward and Edge reverse. Yes you can "run with it" but only after you have created the groove in which to do so....
  8. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Ok. Here's the trick And this holds true with ANY edger. When you're edging, you have to keep the edger slightly angled so the very FRONT of the blade is pointing inward and is touching the concrete first. This WEDGING ensures that the blade is cutting clean against the concrete. Otherwise, what happens is that soil get pinched in between the blade and the concrete and it doesn't get a clean cut. Now, when you do this, you only keep it angled very slightly - just enough that you feel that front of that blade cutting.You wiil actually feel when you are getting a clean cut. The same holds true with wheeled edgers. I keep the edger slightly pivoted (every few feet lift up on the rear wheels slightly an scoot the back (handles) toward the turf to hold slight tension on the front of the blade. I hope this helps. Try it and you'll see what I mean.
  9. S man

Thanks for the info. I will try it and see what happens. Does the wheel configuration on the fc110 have anything to do with it edging a certain way?
  10. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

The wheel position is sort of an adjustment for the height of the person using the edger so you don't drag the head or not cut any grass.

Another thing you could check is the bolt that holds the blade in place. On my FC 110's that bolt seems to need to be TORQUED down good or it works loose and the blade spins. Probably not it but worth checking.