Need advice...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by SlimJim Z71, Feb 21, 2001.

1. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 LawnSite Senior Member

I'm to the point where I want to get into landscaping. Can you guys give me some information as to where would be a good place to start learning? Are there some good books? I don't really have a whole lot of extra time in my life to go to school or anything, but I could probably do something over the net if it's available. Thanks for the help!

-Tim

2. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

the best advice i think, is to get a job with another landscaper and do that for a while. youll learn every trick in the book. you can only gain experience by actually trying it.

3. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

If you contact the local LA's in your area they may be able to help you. I know that one of the local LA's here will allow some of the smaller LCO to bid on minor installations for the experience. They usually will advise you if a current project is above and beyond your skill level.

I second the notion of working with some other contractor's in your area. This is a phenominal way to not only learn about the biz, but to pick up some as well. Afterall, one hand WILL wash the other.

Just my .02
    Kris

4. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Tim, the last I read about this you mentioned Lawn Maintenance. Is this what you meant since this question was posted on the Lawn Forum?

Either way, if you start reading posts here you can learn a lot. If you go to the Post Search Page on my website, there are subjects from Starting a Business to picking out a ZTR and everything in between. Since we are practically neighbors, let me know if there is something I can help you learn.

5. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 LawnSite Senior Member

Eric,

Basically, I want to get out of working on cars, and get into landscaping, sweeping, plowing, ice control, and striping. Pavement maintainance... in a nutshell. I would like my customers to be able to make one phone call to me, and for me to be able to take care of all of their parking area/lawn needs. That is my goal. I'm trying to learn everything I can about each individual aspect. I figure the more I know, the better job I can do, and the happier my customers will be.

Need an apprentice??? LOL

-Tim

6. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Some week end when you are off and you have a minute to spare, I can teach you all I know in that minute. :) Seriously, if you plan on doing this this season, it's time to get some flyers out and getting prepared. Start spending 99% of your time on Lawnsite reading past posts and 1% asking questions. You will have a lot of supportive members here to help you out.

Can anyone remember the name of the guy that started out last year and did so well. If I remember right, he is a single father and has a son, if that helps anyone remember who I'm talking about. I thought he had a great post on how well he had done his first year. :)

7. allabout

allabout LawnSite Member

Tim a good book that just came out is Taylor's master guide to landscaping by R. Buchanan (2000) @ $40.00
    I have over 45 landscaping/lawn maintance books from old to new & around 10 piles of mags. It will not be that easy getting into lawn maintance in the cyrstal lake area alot of this homes are new with first time young home owners that like to do there own work on weekends. (weekend warriors) It will take longer then 1 minute to learn the biz.

Eric I need a good used ZTR do you know where to get one?

8. larrv45390

larrv45390 LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

SlimJim That sounds like a lot of stuf to take on, you and your customers may be better served if you limet your services to a few. More is not always better. You can always sub some of your services out.

9. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Eric, I think you mean Bassman. Here's one of his threads on good word of mouth advertising.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?threadid=9617

[Edited by 1MajorTom on 02-22-2001 at 12:45 AM]