Need Advice

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Jeff's Lawn Care, Jun 22, 2006.

1. Jeff's Lawn Care

Jeff's Lawn Care LawnSite Member

Just curious as how to generate new business in the middle of June.
  2. TurfProSTL

TurfProSTL LawnSite Senior Member

A handful of doorhangers that you can price and an eye for lawns that need your help.....
  3. Jeff's Lawn Care

Jeff's Lawn Care LawnSite Member

No what i mean is, around here all you get in June and July is unhappy customers or customers that don't want to cut because of the heat. I have about 15 that I can depend on annually. All the others or not dependable.
  4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Ohhhh yes I know what you mean. I tolerated this for several years, they call you right about the time that thermometer pegs 90+ and the heat starts pounding around 10am. They talk about 'annual lawn service' and you get all excited and you do a REALLY good job until come september, suddenly they inform you as nicely as they can that they got it from here on out, and thank you. Back in the old days, me so stupid that I was relieved I wouldn't have to do their leaves...

It didn't dawn on me until my 4th year that this wasn't right, but once I figured it out, I saw things thusly:
    - If you can eat the icing off the cake, then you can eat the dry part, too. Ergo: If you can cut when it's nice and cool, then you can cut when it's 104+ HOT!!!
    - If you insist I eat the dry part, I charge extra: +$5 heat surcharge (don't tell them, just tack it on to the price at time of estimate).
    - Same with unreliable folks: Once I can not service their yard, the next time they call me to 'you can come out cut my grass now,' their service has increased by +$5 (truthfully, the cost to re-instate them on the schedule).

Yes, that 5 dollar fee rules, I used to call it the BS fee and it works very well, just tack on an extra 5 bucks anytime you need to get paid for dealing with bs, and either the bs stops or you get 5 dollars for tolerating it.

To get more customers, best I can recommend is advertise HEAVILY during ALL of spring, if you need more customers, put out more advertising in SPRING and take them on until the cows come home. Then, hang on to them for the rest of the year and for dear life because come June, that's all you got until next year. That's how I do things.
    Oh and by the way, always plan on taking on a few extra so you can afford to lose some throughout the year.
  5. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

If you are looking for incremental business appeal to people going on vacation that you will mow and watch their property. And there is a business of picking up people that get burnt out....but usually they aren't looking to paying preminum prices. It all depends on whether you need work or not?
  6. mbell3333

mbell3333 LawnSite Member
    from CT

The best way you can increase any business at any time is to change your focus from -"getting more business and making more money" to "providing the BEST Customer Service and The Highest Quality of Work" This does not mean that you let your customers walk on you what so ever. It only means that when you focus on REALLY providing the best services and having your customers feel important, alot of things happen. You will have more people calling, people are willing to pay you more than they would pay someone else, and everyone is happy. It is the little things that make a difference.