1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

need advice!!!!!

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by sj777, Jul 22, 2006.

1. sj777

sj777 LawnSite Member
    from tampa

im a new owner of a lawn care company,i made up a name i thought no one else had,i registered it with the department of florida to my surprise someone else has a similar name for a landscaping company.i received a letter from their lawyer,saying i can no longer use that name,im confused since i have done everything by the book,can he legally make me change my name.
  2. Poncho25

Poncho25 LawnSite Senior Member

You couldn't have registered it with the Dept of Fla if it was taken already, they would have notified you that the name was already registered.....:hammerhead:

is where u can view the names that are used in the state of Fla.

and yes, if you took a name that is legaly used by someone else and registered, they can go after you.
  3. StBalor

StBalor LawnSite Senior Member

Yep, if you registered the name, it's yours now.
  4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

How similar are they? What are the names? Sometimes an attorney's letter merely turns out to be hot air or a bluff.
  5. sj777

sj777 LawnSite Member
    from tampa

my name is gridiron turf care, theirs is gridiron turf & landscaping services
  6. onthesidelawncare

onthesidelawncare LawnSite Member
    from Jax. FL

Check sunbiz, and maybe go with gridiron lawn care or gridiron lawn maintence. something along those lines
  7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Oooh! That IS close! Where are they from you? I mean, how far away are they? Within 100 miles? If they are farther away than around that distance, I don't think I would worry about it too much. Another thing, is that because you are making a fresh start, you may not have alot invested in your marketing yet (logo design, cards, stationary, signage, etc.). You may just want to reconsider the name all together. NOW is the time! Make a fesh start, and come out breakin' wide! :weightlifter:
  8. GardnerLandscaping

GardnerLandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Ya, don't worry about the name of your company so much until you're big enough to afford a lawyer to protect the name of your big company. And once you're big, do your own research to make sure nothing is taken that is a lot like your name, because I think the state isn't as picky as lawyers.

The names are different enough to pass state tests, but the core of your name is "Gridiron" which can be trade marked and used individually without registering it individually.

If they have a longer history of using "Gridiron" as a trade mark, they have legal standing. Unless you want to fight it, consider a name change. Trade mark is automatic especially if you put a "TM" after it. Very difficult to come up with a unique trademark. The guy pursuing you sounds like a nutcase to have done the research to find your name and pursue you with a lawyer so I would avoid. Not worth the hassle.
  9. sj777

sj777 LawnSite Member
    from tampa

thanks for the advice, i went ahead and just changed name alltogether not worth the hassle.king of greens,i drive for fed ex i think i pass by your house always see truck parked in drive way off barry rd,is that you???????????????