Need advice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnboy349, Oct 10, 2006.

1. lawnboy349

lawnboy349 LawnSite Member

I mow a business in my town that has very narrow strips of grass. There are about four patches that are about 5-7 feet wide and 30 feet long. My problem is that I'm getting lines from where i mow every week. I'm not able to rotate the direction i mow because of how narrow the lawn is. Does anyone else have this problem? Anyone have a solution. Thanks in advance.

2. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

I am well familiar with that situation. Where I live, most of the residentials we do are what guys in most other parts of the country would consider "postage stamp" lawns. Usually 2000-4000 sq. ft. front and back. And often we have to deal with a narrow area like you describe.

What I used to do (back when I was doing the mowing myself) was vary the pattern each week. Granted, you can't do the usual 4 pattern change-up. But that doesn't mean you can't change the pattern slilghtly. Here is a diagram of how I used to do it.

The diagram I am showing actually is displaying 3 rectangles that are exactly perpendicular to each other. Only the stripes I created inside them make the rectangles look like they are slanted a little. They aren't. It's just an optical illusion. But you get the point. I would just vary the pattern each week just a little. On week 4, I'd return to the same pattern used on week 1.

Stripes.jpg

3. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Another option is an exact 'back-cut' where you totally reverse your pattern and mowing direction. So that grass that is leaning away from your direction of travel now will be leaning towards you as you approach to cut. Stands it back up and cuts it off.

What I notice as much as that is 'thinning' on other contractor's jobs where they run the tires over the same zone all season. I see it all the time along edges around beds and along obstacles. Personally, I avoid this by shifting over off the edge about 20" or so and mow everything but that strip with the ZTR. Then I hit that strip with the trim mower or trimmer.

4. traman

traman LawnSite Senior Member

i come across this problem also.what i do is use the string trimmer around the perimeter of the strip moving me over a foot,the other is i change mowers ,luckily i have two