Need advice...

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by HEM, Apr 26, 2007.

1. HEM

HEM LawnSite Member

Greetings. A few questions, but a little background first. I ran a medium sized (50 weekly accounts) lawn mowing business in Knoxville, TN for three years, then I sold it to come to college. I now live in Murfreesboro, TN and wow this market is growing VERY quickly. I have been a server in a restaurant for the last year and I am ready to get back outside and mow. This summer I will be working as a crew foreman for an LCO in Knoxville, but I will return in August for school. What do you guys think the potential is to return to Murfreesboro in August with a good walk-behind, trimmers, blowers, and maybe a 5x8 trailer, something small. Do you guys think it's possible to get 15-20 mowing clients in August just to get my foot in the door for next year? If that works, a year from now I would purchase a rider and a larger trailer. Anyways, what do you guys think of this potential plan? I should also mention that I am NOT and have never been a low baller, I have always been insured, licensed, and pay taxes, I was always legit and if I started a business again, I would be legit then too.

2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I would advise follow your strategy through to spring, skip the August idea and just start in full swing come march, you'll just pick up left overs in august, you can try it but me thinks starting in fall is super hard in comparison...

What I would also do is keep saving your money, work part-time or whatever it is you do, skip the small 5x8 trailer and the nonsense and start out with some righteous stuff (even if you have to buy used, come out swinging with a commercial walk behind, for example).

That's just my take on things.