Need advice

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by cat2, Jun 18, 2007.

1. cat2

cat2 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Mi

How is everyone doing? Keeping busy?:dizzy: OK trying to decide what my next skid steer is going to be. Having a hard time though. I have a john deere and bobcat. John deere = lots of power, stable, a little smoother ride, lift about anything, and CHEAPER.:) Bobcat =hardly ever break down. Better visibly to the wheels, and the corners of the bucket. Better on fuel. Both dealers have very good service. Real nice people there.

2. spydahead

spydahead LawnSite Member

the only reason i'll end up geting another bobcat is the dealer near me has given me the best service of any co.i've ever delt with. i have to run older equipment =breaks down a lot.they always bend over backwards to help me out.not the best skid out there,but they will always have my business.a good dealer is everything. no pun intended.

3. dozerman21

dozerman21 LawnSite Bronze Member

Are you buying one soon, or in a year or two? If you're not buying anytime soon, I wouldn't even worry about it. The "best" machine is in the eye of the beholder.:), not to mention that equipment is consistently changing. If you think brand X is the best one day, brand Y might come out with a new series that outperforms it's previous model.

I would factor in price, trade in value, and dealer support as a big part along with how it performs. Dealer support can make or break a strong machine. For how I use my Deere CTL, I need a powerful machine, but I wouldn't have bought it if my dealer had a bad rep, or if I had bad experiences in the past. Some guys may have good luck with their local dealer, regardless of brand, but the guy one state over may have a hard time with the same brand's dealer. Location of the dealership and finance options are also important, and of course, how the machine feels and performs for your needs tops the list. Demo, demo, and demo some more until you find what's right for you.

4. SiteSolutions

SiteSolutions LawnSite Bronze Member

Both the Bobcat & John Deere machines are pretty good; the Deere's a little stronger on lift and the Bobcats are tough to kill. I just went with a new Bobcat because I work mine pretty hard, but I was looking at the Deere, too. I have had good dealings with both dealers in my area.

If you are doing abusive work, like crawling around on rocks and clearing land, maybe the Bobcat would do better. If you are doing more finish work or loading trucks, maybe the Deere is a better choice.

It's so close I would say go with whichever dealer is better on service, or maybe one of them has a trade-in machine in good condition that they want to make you a sweet deal on.

5. Fieldman12

Fieldman12 LawnSite Bronze Member

I think either machine will be good for you. That is how it is around here. The Bobcat dealer that is here is excellent from what I have seen so far but you better hold your pocket open because they are super expensive. That is one reason I bought the Deere. I was looking at Case, Cat, Bobcat, New Holland and Deere. Cat was at the top of my list and next was Deere. I think the Deere machines will keep getting better and better. I think they will be at the top of the list along with Cat. Bobcat on the other hand I think makes a good machine but not sure who will own them in the future. Does'nt sound like Ingersoll Rand plans on keeping them. I doubt Bobcat will be coming out with anything great in the near future because of this. You know they won't spend any more than they have too in development if they plan on unloading them and it will take a new company a little time to get ahold of things. What series Deere do you have and Bobcat?

6. cat2

cat2 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Mi

The John Deere is a 2005. The Bobcat is a 2007. John Deere is a 317, bobcat s-160.

7. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

What DozerMan said is "the key to life".