Need Advice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by okie2, Jan 18, 2008.

1. okie2

okie2 LawnSite Member

I am doing this part time. I am a teacher and a coach. I have bid on our school lawn. It is about 35 acres. I talked to the maintenance and he said it takes them all week during the summer to mow it. I'm afraid I wont be able to get it all done in a week. They have four 60" JD tractor mowers. I have one 60" JD 757. It will be especially tough during school days in the spring and fall. I could cancel that and just do residentials which I have no customers yet. The school would pay alot more though. I bid $910 a cut. Could I get it all done?? By the way its mowing only, mostly flat, such as a football field, and its open in two places about 10 acres.
  2. Turf Dawg

Turf Dawg LawnSite Gold Member

If there is no trimming involved and you can run your deere on all areas this should only take a few days. I would have to see the layout ,but you can cut alot of grass per day with a 60"z in open spaces.
  3. deereequipment

deereequipment LawnSite Senior Member

I agree.
    Depending on what type of mower the school's 60" are. If they are just riders, that 757 of yours should cut alot faster.
    $910, for 35 acres is $26.00 an acre.Take out $6.00 for 2 gallons of fuel per acre. Now you are only making $20.00. Take out your mower payments, insurance payments, now you are probably only making $12.00/ acre. Can you cut an acre in an hour. You should.
    Is it worth that for you?
    Since you have an "in" at the school, negotiate.
    Don't over do it, especially with your work schedule in the fall and spring.
    Teaching and then coaching. Spring and late summer is when the grass grows the most and the fastest, so you could easily get overwhelmed. Especially if it is a wet year, most likely, it will be sunny while you are teaching, and raining every evening when you are available to mow.

This is why I don't hire students for the summer. Grass cutting season and school schedules don't work.We don't work that much during the summer. That is our slowest time. The busiest is early spring and early fall.

Good Luck
  4. okie2

okie2 LawnSite Member

Yea. Thats my main concern is getting it cut during school. I could probably knock out 6 or 7 residentials on a saturday.
  5. grassyguy

grassyguy LawnSite Member

Hey Okie, You could eaily get 7 done on saturdays, probably ten. There is no way you can mow the school by yourself in the spring and fall while you are teaching and coaching however. But you could do a few lawns during the week and over the weekend. We bid on the Jenks schools (5 properties). We were going to have one crew dedicated to just those properies for an entire week. If you have people you can hire to do it while you are busy then possibly you could do it. Good luck
  6. okie2

okie2 LawnSite Member

Hey thanks guys. Jenks is a nice school. Hopefully you will get that one. I think I will just talk to the sup about letting me do it just while we are out of school. That would be a sweet deal
  7. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

I say do it. During the school - get a good kid to help run. With the Z you should be able to cruise if things are as open as you claim. $26 / acre - not bad. Big stuff around me - 18 - 22 / acre. That is cutting things close.
  8. TNT Lawncare

TNT Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like a conflict of interest to me. I bet the teachers union wouldn't like that too much.
  9. okie2

okie2 LawnSite Member

Theres no union. I dont think they would care anyway.
  10. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

2 Gallons of fuel per acre? Don't you mean Per Hour? I certainly hope he can mow more than an acre per hour.