Need Advice

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by PSUhardscaper, Jun 5, 2013.

1. Agape

Agape LawnSite Bronze Member

what happened to the neighbors patio?

2. PaperCutter

PaperCutter LawnSite Bronze Member

Just curious what y'all think of this. One of the masons I know will (on newly built homes) dig down to undisturbed soil and build up walls/piers to just below grade, pour a slab across them, and build off that slab. It sounds reasonable. Am I missing something?

3. alldayrj

alldayrj LawnSite Gold Member

Depending on the span between the piers, reinforcing and thickness of the slab I think it's just a bandaid until the slab cracks in the middle when that dirt settles out from under it. I see it all the time on a smaller scale when replacing stoops

4. PaperCutter

well yeah, it's concrete - no tensile strength without reinforcement. But I think adequately supported and reinforced, it sounds plausible.

5. alldayrj

alldayrj LawnSite Gold Member

Concretes not cheap any more. I'm paying 100/110 yard. I think it would be cheaper to excavate and compact in lifts
    Wire mesh isn't enough to build a bridge which is what he is trying to do.

6. shovelracer

shovelracer LawnSite Silver Member

I see this all the time, and the key is undisturbed soil.

7. PaperCutter

I designed a garage several years ago and the floor had to be a structural slab, because there was 8' of grade change from where we met the existing driveway to where the back wall of the garage was, 24' away. So the walls of the garage went up, we backfilled with 57s, and laid the rebar and poured the slab. It was a thick slab and a beefy rebar schedule but it wasn't that exotic - and we were clear-spanning 20'+. I would have to think that if your pier spacing is reasonable and you get aggressive with rebar and slab thickness it would work.

What ooks me out is when I see guys pour a slab to support steps and they pin it to the foundation wall. Don't think I'd do that.

8. OSdb

OSdb LawnSite Member

I think its just more common around NOVA, we use pier footings and dowels.

9. SVA_Concrete

SVA_Concrete LawnSite Senior Member

It is definitely plausible, you could run grade beams around the three sides and tie the beams into the foundation wall.

Superior walls puts haunches on the walls for lintels to bear on to facilitate the construction on a porch stoop prior to backfill even.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

Well sure it's very reasonable.

In Northern VA - people can afford to pay a contractor to go this route. There is MONEY in northern VA. Come further north into western MD and by the time the contractor factors in going this route - the client probably can't afford it.