need advice

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by fisherboy2, Nov 29, 2013.

1. fisherboy2

fisherboy2 LawnSite Member
    from kc, mo

Need some advice, I just paid off my 03 cat 242 skid steer. Its a good running machine has enclosed cab with heat no a/c single speed. I want to trade up to a newer nicer machine with all the options or should I expand my business and get a excavator?

2. AEL

AEL LawnSite Bronze Member

If the skid is in good shape and paid for keep it and if the work is there buy a mini excavator. You are not expanding if really all you are doing is replacing one machine with another machine nearly the same and adding a payment. If you get the mini ex and your skid is paid for you have 2 machines helping you make that payment and allowing you to pay it off sooner . Best of luck
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

2 machines vs. 1 is a no brainer, buy an excavator.

4. fisherboy2

from kc, mo

Thanks fellas I was thinking that just needed that reasurement, I was in the machine a lot last winter and was thinking I would love to have a newer quieter machine but I think I will stick it out a few more years

5. fisherboy2

from kc, mo

it is a good machine but u know sometimes you would like to upgrade, but I think I will just look into getting an excavator instead. looking into the 12-16k lbs class what do u guys recomend

6. jmacd

jmacd LawnSite Member

An upgrade would be you capable of doing more than just skid steer work. A brand new skid steer won't do what a used worn out excavator can do to make you more money if you all ready have a skid steer.

7. AEL

AEL LawnSite Bronze Member

I recommend a kubota u55 . I own 3 kubota minis and have never had issues in a total of 5300 hours. John Deere/hitachi makes a good product as well
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. hoeman376

hoeman376 LawnSite Senior Member

put taller tires on it for plowing and it will pick up travel speed
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. fisherboy2

from kc, mo

what do you guys think of the takeuchi tb070 models,