Need Advice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by packerbacker, Dec 29, 2003.

1. packerbacker

packerbacker LawnSite Bronze Member

I just got done doing a couple final cleanups on some houses. One of the customers hasnt paid her November bill but i gave her the benefit of the doubt and did the final one. As i was doing it i noticed her son and daughter coming in and out lugging things out of the garage. Neither of them said a word to me or even acknowledged that i was there. I got done and went across the street and got started on another one. This customer came out and informed me that the customer across the street had passed away a few weeks ago.

I get the feeling that im about to get stiffed for $300.00. Any advice on how to handle this?

2. goodbeus

goodbeus LawnSite Senior Member

I would try to get in touch with whoever is in care of her property and explain to them the situation and be extremely courteous while dealing with them...if you don't get paid, you'll get your reward upstairs and the caretaker will get what's coming to them as well,lol...:gunsfirin :help: :blob2:

3. Hawkeye5

Hawkeye5 LawnSite Senior Member

Watch the local paper, or call the courthouse to see if an estate has been opened. There will be a notice published twice in the local paper regarding the estate and requesting claims against the estate be presented and debts owed the estate be paid. The opening of the estate is also public information so the county will have a record of when it was opened and a address where claims may be presented. Normally you have about four months after the estate is opened to present your claim.

4. packerbacker

thanks guys and BTW, my reward upstairs isnt going to pay for the new mower lol;)

5. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Did you have a contract? If you did'nt I would write it off as a bad debt on my taxes. And if you did have a contract don't expect any $$ for at least a yr. Good Luck

Mac

6. packerbacker

No contract, i never do with a residential, just commercial

7. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Contact the family. If they don't pay, put a lien on the house. They can't sell until you get paid.

8. GrassBustersLawn

GrassBustersLawn LawnSite Senior Member

Ditto what HOSS said. But I'd do it QUICK in case they have a deal lined up for QUICK SALE of the house! Got to get a Small Claims Judgement then FILE THE LIEN. (In Indiana anyway, check for specifics in your state.)

Mike

9. brentsawyer

brentsawyer LawnSite Senior Member

Get in touch w/ anyone in the family ASAP. Been in your position and it seems the last thing any family would want to do is stiff the lawn guy that was taking care of dead relatives lawn and making their lives easier in times of need. Should work out 90%+ of the time fine. I would be more worried about being paid late again by my wealthy doctor customers than this one.

10. HandEnterprises

HandEnterprises LawnSite Member

calm down i have delt with this twice this year
    the first time was with one of my favorite customers.elmer paid cash because he had bad hands. i usualy collected on the last cut of the month but he did not owe much for oct and nov so i didnot stop to collect(trying to get leaves done). three neeks ago his daughter found one of my cards and told me what happened and told me where to send the final bill.bill sent flowers sent bill paid no problems