need advice

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by fenderfence, Jul 15, 2004.

1. fenderfence

fenderfence LawnSite Member

Im thinking of buying an existing local mowing business. The guy wants $4500 for a 12' Road Runner single-axle trailer, that's in pretty good shape, a 1994 Walker MTGHS, and two JD 21" self-propelled push mowers. The 10 residential and 7 commercial accounts come with it for free. He's shown me his books and what he makes for each account, none of which are under contract. One mowing cycle brings in $655, and he says in the last 3 years he's made $1500 - $3000 per month. The Walker has approx. 2100 hours on it and about 400hrs on a 2 year old engine. Is this a fair price?

2. fenderfence

The Walker has a 42" side discharge deck and a 48" bagger deck.

3. fenderfence

Anyone out there?

4. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

5. fenderfence

Well, I bought the business and 15 of the 17 clients agreed to keep my services, and I have sine added 1 other. Hope I didn't overpay for the equipment. I still need to purchase a trimmer/edger and a blower. Any suggestions? I was thinking about John Deere, Stihl, or Echo. This is a great site with loads of helpful info.

6. fenderfence

ANY suggestions would be much appreciated.
    I purchased a Stihl SH 55 Blower/Vac and a JD XT105SB Trimmer. The JD Trimmer is used and highly recommended by LC pros in a nearby town, so I went with that. It has the Split-Boom shaft for attachments. Again, any advice would be great.

7. haynestotallawns

haynestotallawns LawnSite Member
    from SC

fender make sure your getting commercial equipment no matter what you buy, some are better than others but you want to make sure it will last. I personally use stihls (blowers, edgers, trimmers, etc.) good luck.

8. fenderfence

Thanks haynes, appreciate the advice.
    Anyone have any experience, good or bad with Walker mowers?

9. dmc337

dmc337 LawnSite Member

Best commercial mower is made by Scag. Echo always was a good commercial brand, but stihl is also good. I agree with the comment about making sure everything you purchase is commercial grade. The home stuff just will not hold up. I wouldn't necessarily say you overpaid for the business, but will tell you that I think the $3000/month for 17 accounts is probably a little exaggerated in your area. The mower seems to have a high hour count on it. I suggest you take it to be cleaned up and tuned up if it never was before. Walker is OK, but they dont seem to last as long as some others. LD isnt my choice. Just so you know, I have been in landscaping for 17 years. Willing to help anyone I can.....

10. fenderfence

Thanks dmc, appreciate the input.