Need advice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by PhantomMullet, Aug 5, 2004.

1. PhantomMullet

PhantomMullet LawnSite Member

Hey guys... I need some advice here. I've always liked mowing so I'm seriously considering starting a lawn mowing business to pay for school. I'm attending a community college now and I'm still living at home so I'll be around in the spring and fall. I was planning on advertising in my area early next spring and starting then. Well, lately I've been looking for used equipment in the classifieds and I found an ad titled "Commercial Mowing Equipment". The guy is selling a 2yr old Toro Proline 36" gear WB w/ T-bars and an Echo PB-750 backpack blower for $1200. He is mowing 30 lawns/ week but when he sells this stuff he's done. If I bought the equipment he said I'd get a list of all his customers. Also he said he'd personally recommend me to them. The lawns are mostly small residential lots located about 30 min from my house. He said there are no guarantees, but his customers will need to find someone.

So here is my dilemma... Should I jump on this offer, or wait until spring and start my own business from the beginning? If I went with my original plan I'd be mowing bigger lots (1 acre +) so I'd need a bigger WB or a ZTR. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

TJ

2. rtyus

rtyus LawnSite Member

It doesn't sound like a bad deal to me. The blower new would be half that much. If he's maintained the equipment properly, it should easily be worth more than he's asking. The customer list is a big plus as well. You probably won't or may not want to keep all of them, but you're sure to keep some.

3. Mikes Lawn Landscape

Mikes Lawn Landscape LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Your Age 19
    Years in business 3

Which is it. Just Starting or been in biz 3 years.

4. PhantomMullet

I've been mowing lawns, 3-5 per week, for three years just to make some extra money. So it technically isn't a business, not yet at least. Sorry if it was misleading. Anyway, I'm looking at the mower again tomorrow and I hope to find out more about the accounts this guy has.

TJ

5. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

You get the equipment AND 30 new clients for $1200????

And you need help on this one???

:confused: ;) :rolleyes:

If you have to ask, then I'd say you need to go back to that college of yours and see if you can take a course on common sense. Cuz this would be a no-brainer for most people.

It took me a year and a half of hard freakin' work before I had 30 customers.

6. 42homers

42homers LawnSite Member

Yep................30 accounts handed to you is automatic income. All you have to do is the work to generate it.

I agree with Jim...........no brainer here.

One round of cuts on his 30 will probably get 2/3 of the 1200.00 paid for.......next round will be the profitable one.

Do it now before somebody sees this opportunity for what it is.

7. MoCut1

MoCut1 LawnSite Member

Do it !!!!!!! got to start somewhere and 30 is a good number, still living at home too...

8. Lawn Sharks

Lawn Sharks LawnSite Senior Member

Unless the mower is dead (high hours etc.) this is a great deal. Start now and pay it off before winter starts and it is sitting in storage.

9. PhantomMullet

I realize it seems obvious, but I have a lot of other things to consider right now... especially school. I don't want my grades to suffer from getting myself in over my head here. I'm going to see how it goes and if its too much I guess I can drop some of them. Thanks for the advice.