Lawn Care Forum banner

Need advices for RESILIENT grass/ground cover for SHADY yard

4K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  guiri 
#1 ·
Guys, I have around 1/4 acre of property and I have trees everywhere. My property is very shady/shaded and I don't have much worth of grass.
What this means is that my dogs, constantly drag in dirt when they go in and out.

I'm sick and tired of this and I want to do something about it. Short of paving the whole thing or putting in gravel which I don't have the money for, nor want to do, I don't know what to do but I keep thinking there must be something that'll grow thick and strong to make sure they have something to walk and run on that'll keep their paws clean.

The property is very rocky and because of that, tends to keep water from soaking into the ground quickly and at the bottom of the property (it slopes) it's usually continuously muddy.

There IS one area that has plenty of grass and very thick grass and I would like the whole property looking like that.

I CAN fence of part of the property while I treat it and then do the other part.

I can provide layout and pics if necessary.

Also, at least one of my dogs tends to dig holes all over the yard but NEVER where there is grass or thick grass which is another reason I want to do this. I'm tired of the yard looking like damn swiss cheese.

I'm in NC, close to Charlotte if anyone wonders what the climate's like.
Hot and humid in the summer and this year we've had a lot of rain. It used to be that summers were dry but now with the climate going ape****, things seem to have changed.
Winters are mild and in the fall, it rains A LOT.

Thanks for any help. Also, if someone that really knows what they're doing and wants to do this (in my area), I can trade for either webdesign or stuff as I have lots of cool stuff.

Note, this wasn't intended as some kind of ad but I thought I'd mention it if someone here can do it and wants to trade.

Please let me know what options I have, IF I have any.

Thanks

George

See less See more
#3 ·
If you keep dogs outside it will be hard to get grass to grow...this time of year and the fact it's rocky.
Posted via Mobile Device

#5 ·
Well, I can close off part of the yard and work on that and then do the other part.

Do I have any options at all?

Thanks
Astro turf comes to mind...
Posted via Mobile Device

#8 ·
That's a purrty snake! I caught one a few years ago and let him go far away from my house.
Posted via Mobile Device

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.