Need advise about sprinkler maintenance!

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by dds66047, Mar 24, 2006.

1. dds66047

dds66047 LawnSite Member

Does anyone offer an annual sprinkler maintenance contracts to residential customers? We don't do lawn maintenance, only sprinklers.

I'm wondering how to sell clients on signing annual maintenance contract that includes 2 system check ups besides the standard start up and winterization. Is there any information available of how to explain to them in the offer letter about the benefits of check ups done?

Should we include seasonal watering time adjustments as part of the same contract? But all the controllers are inside the garages. What to do about it?

Please share the experince. Any suggestions would be very helpful. :confused:

Thank you.

2. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

You have to give them a good package price that you can show then saves them money rather than paying a higher price to call you and have you come out..should they run into problems during the year.
    The retiming should be included in the 2-season checks.You have to have acsess to the garages or go when they are home obviously to offer that part.

3. bumper

bumper LawnSite Member
    from So. Cal

What'll ya do if something goes snap inbetween your visits??as a customer that is what would worry me more and if I had to pay on top of the yearly maint. contract...that would get me on edge quicker.

The info discussed here is pretty interesting....being on the West Coast many things you LC's do we don't deal with here or do differently.

4. dds66047

dds66047 LawnSite Member

Thank you for reply.
    So I need to show them a comparison between $45 per check up (contract) and paying $60/hr when something happens. At the same time I want to put in the contract that repairs are billed separately.

How would you explain to them that it's a good deal?

Thank you.

5. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Well I coulden't it's your deal not mine.

6. dds66047

dds66047 LawnSite Member

Bumper,
    I would still want to bill them for repair if something happens in between visits. I know it sounds strange but that's what I was recommended to do on the seminar and I want to try it.

Do you use annual contracts at all?

7. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

Sell them the service and give them a discount for service calls as a "preferred customer" We check sprinklers after every mow and we adjust the clocks as needed with our regular visits. I agree with bumper we might as well be in different country's given what goes on in the west vs everywhere else.

8. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Does this mean you check the sprinklers weekly if they're on weekly mow schedules? That could get a little time consuming especially if they're a larger commercial contract. How do you work this?

9. dds66047

dds66047 LawnSite Member

We don't do mowing. We would just come out 2 times in like May and September to do sprinkler system check ups, make time adjustments, look for damages.

Thank you.

10. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation LawnSite Silver Member

A well worded service policy is an asset to your business . I spent close to 60 hours structuring ours. It is an extended warranty , it covers the entire system . The term of the agreement is 3 years . I have a list of exclusions .
    It is very profitable . The customer is ours for that term , the competition is shut out . I sell this to all residential , we agressivly target our competitions customer base with a 60 % sucess rate.