Need Advise Asap

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by INTEGRITY LAWN, May 24, 2002.

1. INTEGRITY LAWN

INTEGRITY LAWN LawnSite Member

I need to buy a string trimmer, and edger. Have 2 choices between Shindawa and Redmax.

The store has a 25.4cc Redmax edger for $330 (I am not familiar with ther edgers/trimmers at all). They also have a Shindawa 24.1 cc for $390.

Then they have a 25.4cc Redmax String trimmer for $320, or a Shindawa T260 24.1 cc for $350. ( I have heard tons about the quality of Shindawa) I

It seams the redmax comes with more power for the money, but no reputation, while the Shindawa has it's reputation for with less power for the money. Which way should I go? Tell me what you have learned from your experience? I know many of you have had repairs on these, what would you recommend. What will last me longer? Does the differnce in power make a huge differnce? Please give me advice, and your opinion?

Thanks

2. captdevo

captdevo LawnSite Senior Member

redmax and shindaiwa are actually owned by the same company komatsu

redmax have actually been around longer than shindaiwa, they are both top quality pieces of equipment.

i would opt for horsepower and unit weight of each and how comfortable they are to use.

i've used redmax for over 13 years with great results (which is why i deal them)

anywho, as with any peice of equipment, get a demo out in the field with them.

3. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

4. lucky4511

lucky4511 LawnSite Member

red max, red max and red max. they are easy to start and easy to work on. we never have problems with our red max equipment, blowers and trimmers.

5. Martino

Martino LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

From the Shindaiwa web site:

Company Background
    Shindaiwa is a wholly owned subsidiary of Shin-Daiwa Kogyo, Ltd., of Hiroshima, Japan, and was incorporated in Oregon in 1981.

From the Red Max web site:

About RedMax®
    RedMax® / Komatsu Zenoah America manufactures commercial outdoor power equipment for the land care professional.

Two totally separate companies. Shindaiwa does buy some engines from Komatsu Zenoah for use on a few of their products.