Need advise on choosing mower

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by joe stihl, May 9, 2004.

1. joe stihl

joe stihl LawnSite Member

I need help in choosing a mower. Yall are the pros so please chime in.

Here is the situation. I have 3-4 acres to mow at my house, mostly open but some tight areas around house. I want a good commercial ztr. Local options are ex-mark, scag, toro, simplicity, cub cadet and snapper. What would you reccomend as far as brand and cutting width. Or would a walk-behind be better?

Also, I am a full-time fireman with 2 full days off between shifts. I am seriously considering starting commercial op next year once I learn the machine. So I would need something that would stand up to everyday use.

Thanks

2. txchopper

txchopper LawnSite Member

Have you considered a "Dixie Chopper" ? They have a couple of intry level machines. With all the features and horse power, they really make it difficult for the competition to compete.

3. joe stihl

I haven't looked at those. Don't even know if there is a dealer around here. I'll look into it.

Really been leaning toward a scag tiger cub. The dealer that carries them also sells snapper, toro and grasshopper and he reccomends the scag. But I work at a stihl dealer and I know how sales work - sell what you have the most of.

Thanks

4. Art59

Art59 LawnSite Member

I am in the same situation.. About 1.5 relatively flat acres to mow...

Looking at a used 1998 Walker 25 HP w/52SD (owner wants $4000) or new Walker MT25 42"GHS... ($9K)

Any advice?

5. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

WEll for my 2 cents are worth , I have a scag tiger cub with a 48'' deck and a 20 hp kohler and it serves me well.I just got it a few weeks ago and now I have 65 hours on it and I am very well pleased. On the walk behinds, I have thoose also Toro & Scag. Be sure to demo the walk behinds and try out the controls before you buy. In my opinion I dont like the pistol grips, but thats my opinion. On a 3-4 acre yard I think the ztr would be a better machince, but take time to demo all the machines you can and check out each dealer for the customer support also, that plays an equal part in which machine to purchase also. Hope this helps some and welcome to lawnsite

6. Art59

Art59 LawnSite Member

GCF, thanks for the quick reply.

7. mowhigh

mowhigh LawnSite Member
    from Dallas

Art59, looked at the Walkers; high quality, but similarly high priced. Check out the Country Clipper JAZee. It's a pretty rugged 'estate' ztr that would easily handle 1.5 ac. It comes with a flip-up deck and single joystick control; the JAZeeOne starts just under $3200 (per www.countryclipper.com). The heavy duty fabricated deck, kawi/kohler option and 19,000 fpm blade tip speed are definitely commercial quality.
    Joe S, for a fully commercial ztr, check out their new Charger (above features plus 24x12 tires and pivoting front axle). I just got the 23hp 52" for just over $5800. Good luck!

8. joe stihl

thanks for everything so far