Need Advise:

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by john1616, Aug 17, 2006.

1. john1616

john1616 LawnSite Member

My son in law is a landscaper and deals with many fertilizers, pecticides, insecticides, etc. He recently took an insurance exam and nicotine was found in his urine. Needless to say, the insurance company branded him as a smoker that resulted in more than tripling the premium. They didn't want to hear that he never smoked in his life. They also said it was up to us to prove that the nicotine in his urine came from something other than smoking. I have done some research and found that there is some connection to nicotinoids and insecticides.
    Can anyone tell me some products that contain nicotinoids or if you have experienced a similar situation with an insurance exam.

2. seaweed

seaweed LawnSite Member

i haven't heard of nicotinoids- can you tell me some of the info you found out- like what types of insecticides. In any case, if you suspect that it came from a chemical he was/is useing, i'd start by looking at those chemicals. he should be able to get MSDS sheets on them- most of them have detailed info that you might be able to compare to the info you found in your research.
  3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

There are both organophosphates and carbamates that contain nicotine. If his nicotine rates are that high, he really should have his cholenestorase levels checked. I hope he is ok.
  4. AlpineNaturescapes

AlpineNaturescapes LawnSite Member

Merit is a nicotine-based insecticide - there are many others as indicated.
  5. kilpatrickshrub&turf

kilpatrickshrub&turf LawnSite Member

yes the Merit comes to mind first, as are many others. ugh, its august and im still going thru a couple hundred gallons a day. dad-gum grubs...

ive heard of some with luck using it on chinch bug infestations but not me, but oddly enuff when mixed with bifenthrin it seems to do a quicker kill than the bifenthrin alone. geez go figure?
  6. bug-guy

bug-guy LawnSite Senior Member

merit (imidacloprid) and talstar(bifenthrin) = Allectus by bayer

any insecticide contain imidacloprid is nicotine-based insecticide
    as well as Arena

i'm sure there more