Need an answer fast!!!!!!!1

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Rembrandt100, May 16, 2006.

1. Rembrandt100

Rembrandt100 LawnSite Member

I am in a debate on a forum concerning pesticide bans. I am wondering if there are any 2-4d bans in the U.S. We have a few cities here in Canada with pesticide bans and they are including 2-4d in the ban as a pesticide. I own a landscape maintainance co and am licensed in Ontario.

Dave

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

There are no bans in the U.S. on 2,4-D. There was one attempt that took place at a town called Pewaukee Lake (Delafield, Wisconsin) but it was overrode because they didn't have the authority to do it.

3. Rembrandt100

4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

That link doesn't open...

5. Rembrandt100

6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Ok. Here is another environmentalist/tree hugger site, but I see nothing to do with any ordinances or acts.

7. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

No 2-4d bans but there are phosphorous bans and more and more places are looking at getting rid of it. I haven't done much research on it but heard that there is usually an abundance of P in the soil. I admit that I don't do soil tests on a broad scale.

8. Chris@CRU

Chris@CRU LawnSite Member

To find any "bans" on pesticides or applications of, go to the states web site, and search. Every state has a legeslative site that allows you to search for legislation via key words. I have used this feature numerous times. Also, the Federal Insecticide, Fungicide, Rodentcide Act prohibits states and municipalities from enacting legeslation on pesticides in contradiction to Federal Laws. They can restrict application sites, typically for EPA and with EPA recommendation and approval.

9. Rembrandt100

Thank you Gentlemen.

Runner...... here well call them ludites and flat earthers.

Chris .......So if the feds allow the use of a product, states or municipalities cannot override that. But the EPA could, if it chose to, approve a city ban?

Here in Canada the surpreme court ruled that the cities have the right to prohibit the use of pesticides within thier borders. So far Montreal, Halifax, Vancouver and Toronto as well as a few small communities have applied prohibitions on "the use of any pesticide or 2-4d product for cosmetic purpose."

This means that under threat of a $255 fine you mat not:

Use anything other than dormant oil or systemic controls on fruit trees

Spray your lawn with anything other the nematodes

Now before you become too comfortable with the rules that you enjoy now, think back to the 60s and remember what Rachel Carson's book Silent Spring did for a cheap and useful product called DDT.

Dave

10. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Hold on a sec,...just for the sake of your argument,...and so you know. you stated.
    "So if the feds allow the use of a product, states or municipalities cannot override that. But the EPA could, if it chose to, approve a city ban?"

It is actually backwards of that. Just because the fed gov. allows it, each state has the right to limit or ban it. This happens with MANY chemicals in different states.
    This is just like law. State laws (Statutes) override the general federal laws.