Need an inexpensive fungicide

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by MrC, Jun 15, 2007.

1. MrC

MrC LawnSite Member
    from Jersey

My budget is getting pretty tight so I was wondering if the cheaper fungicides like Scotts, Spectricide, or Bayer were effective? If not, what would you recommend?
  2. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

2 words to never use in the same sentence. "inexpensive" and "fungicide"

Iv'e heard good things about fertilome's F-stop. I know it's available in a granular form, unsure about liquid. It's Eagle fungicide, and for the money it's a pretty good value. Still not cheap though.
  3. dKoester

dKoester LawnSite Gold Member

The best time to put down fungicide is before it starts. If you know what conditions cause fungus then you can take the necessary precausions to stop it. Don't water at night or late evening because that is when fungus are most active. We instruct our clients when to water their lawns. If they have a sprinkler system we come in and give it our settings of 6am and 12 pm for a half hour each zone every 3 days. No fungus here.
  4. tremor

tremor LawnSite Bronze Member

Forget granular fungicides if cost is a concern. Sprayable is always cheaper.

If you're looking for a "preventive" fungicide you can't beat the low cost of Manzate or Pentathlon (Mancozeb).

Curative fungicide? Bayleton 50 is the cheapest.
  5. boats47

boats47 LawnSite Member

We use spectator ($ not to bad) or Eagle (more expensive) for fruit tree/edible plants. Either way you have to jack the $ for this service, it not a cheap endevor. Not to mention once you have the problem it is really to late to treat, its more of a preventative maintence thing. Most customers we have don't want to spend money on something that could happen, although i do have customers of the fungicide spray list.
  6. olive123

olive123 LawnSite Senior Member

for inexpensive sprayable its hard to beat t-storm from lesco.
    thiophanate the same as clearys 3336- one of the greats.
    This in a systemic, they are always more. If yor aRE trying to prevent
    there is no better or cheaper than mancozeb. Plus you get the benefit of the manganese base (great in fla for palms). I dont think mancozeb is labeled for
    homes anymore, use dithane (same ai) check the label.
  7. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

It is my understanding the EPA has put the Kibosh on all Mancozeb products. My supplier tells me they still have Pentathlon until it runs out. I always have been a fan on Mancozeb and many years ago found by adding LI 700 surfactant from Loveland I got enough systemic action for curative. By accident I found Pentathlon Ag grade has more Zinc and causes stress on St Augustine turf when a supplier send me the Wrong Pentathlon.

In Edit

Pentathlon doesn't have a long Shelf life. I have found that with in a years time it will settle out to a hard brick in the bottom of the jug. I would love to stock up on Pentathlon but can't.
  8. tremor

tremor LawnSite Bronze Member

One by one all of the decent contact fuingicides have fallen. Not because they are dangerous per se, but rather because the residential lawn & ornamental market isn't worth the cost of the federally mandated testing. So golf & food are the last bastions of cost effective disease prevention.
  9. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

And so it is with all our Great American Corporations who's quest for the God All mighty Dollar and globalization has send the working man to hell. We are now a service economy, Just ask any illegal. They will tell you where the jobs are. BTW I understand the Illegals are know requesting to be paid in Canadian dollars since the USD is declining so quickly. They get a better exchange rate with Canadian dollars when they take or send the money back home.
  10. turfsolutions

turfsolutions LawnSite Senior Member

I suprised no one has mentioned Armada by Bayer.