1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Need an opinion on 7.4 liter motor

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Moonlight, Jan 9, 2005.

1. Moonlight

Moonlight LawnSite Member

I am looking at a 2000 chevy 3500 4x4 with the 7.4 liter gas motor. Does anyone have one? How do you like it? What mileage are you getting? How well does it pull a trailer.
  2. Likestomow

Likestomow LawnSite Senior Member

Take this to the Truck Forum
  3. Gmgbo

Gmgbo LawnSite Senior Member

it will rip ur house off the foundation
  4. Mindless

Mindless LawnSite Member

Intake Manifold Gasket leak...coolant. Poor design between the head and intake. 132K on my 97' and is just starting to leak...for the 4th time. Each of the three previous leaks repaired by three different GM garages across the nation. Heard better things from 8.1L.

5. mowin at the lake

mowin at the lake LawnSite Member

iv'e got a 2000 3500 crew cab with 90,000 miles.
    the only work done on it was both front wheel bearings,
    power steering gear box, and alternator.

i get about 13 on the highway
    about 11-12 in the city
    8-10 pulling the trailer (20 enclosed)
    5-6 pushing snow
  6. Jerry Bliler

Jerry Bliler LawnSite Member

Great engine. I have ran an 1988 to 177.700 now Milage is not great but it will pull anything you ask it to. Have had 4600 pounds of sand for pavers in the bed, they just keep pulling. Have never had trouble with leaks. Did have to put a timing chain in it at about 150.000. GM still uses the fibre covered gear teeth so that they run quieter. Carry a spare fan belt. They were NOT a horsepower motor after the government got done with emissions. However with injection they wear much better.
  7. dwc

dwc LawnSite Senior Member

Be careful about the 2000 454. I had one in a dually and it would not run worth anything....I had 350's that pulled better than it. Just be sure it runs strong before getting stuck with it. I have had other 454's and they were great! They will pull the world but usually average about 10 unless you are pulling really heavy or idling a lot.

As for the 8100, they are awesome! Lots of power, smooth, and the mileage is somewhat better than the 454. I owned a 8100 and traded it for a powerstroke. The 8100 pulled every bit as good as the powerstroke with not much more fuel. With a 3.73 rear end I have seen them get about 13-14 highway.
  8. BillyRgn8

BillyRgn8 LawnSite Member

a buddy of mine whos an LCO has an 89 3500 dulley with 125,000 miles on it. bought it with 75,000 miles from a guy that pulled a goose neck horse trailer. It runs good but very loud and only about 5 mpg's
  9. BillyRgn8

BillyRgn8 LawnSite Member

how ever he loves it, but says he would rather have the 6.5 Liter Turbo diesel that i have in my 2500 extended cab
  10. gorrell

gorrell LawnSite Senior Member

I had the 7.4 in a 1995 crew cab dually and thought it had a lot of power until I acquired a 2001 crew cab dually with the 8.1L. Like night and day. The 7.4 has 240hp while the 8.1 has 340hp. 100 more ponies out of only 42 more cubic inches. It pulls my 26' gooseneck with 4 Dixie 50hp diesels anywhere you want to go. By the way, mileage for me with loaded trailer is about 6 to 6.5mpg.................Lynn