Need Answers on Upgrading!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lildog132, May 27, 2003.

1. lildog132

lildog132 LawnSite Member

Im a 16 year old kid that lives in michigan and i have about 60 clients i mow weekly!, I got a old van that i put 2 22'' inch push mowers and i got this crappy $90 dollor trimmer! Im mowing from morning to night every day and im exhausted! i was a commercial walk behind mower that i can stand on that is about 3 grand. and any suggestions on a good trimmer?? is buying a used mower a bad idea? i know my push mowers are going to brake down soon since they are probally only ment for 10 lawns a week max. Please give me some suggestions and answers.
    Thanks, Chris

2. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

go for the commercial mower IMMEDIATELY!

i bought a Gravely PRO-50 from a dealer for $900 a few years ago when i started. it payed for itself in no time and i'm still using it today. If i was gonna buy another used machine to start out i'd definitely get a hydro, my machine is fine when its dry, however the belt drive slips when its wet.

I'd go for the commercial deck before going for the commercial weed wackers or blowers. they're a bit expensive but you said you have 60 lawns, so maybe do everything at once.

Get a sulky/velke for that commercial deck too!

3. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

Go and check out what the commercial mower sale companies have in your area. You are not just concerned with the best price but who will give you the best service after the sale and stock the best selection of parts. I would make sure and demo each mower you are really interested in on your properties.

Gravely_Man

4. lawnranger44

lawnranger44 LawnSite Senior Member

hey i'm 15 years old and me and my brother have a lawn mowing business too. But we only have 15 customers. We just bought a brand new Exmark Metro 36" so that's going to help a lot. We mow in the evenings so we are pretty busy. Go for a commercial walk behind. Get a used that is in good condition and try to get a decent price. Actually price probably wouldn't matter b/c you got 60 lawns and that should be paid off in a month definitely. Get a good trimmer soon. we have a Stihl and it's awesome but i want to get an Echo. Also, do you not go to school? Do you just mow all day and that's like your job? Do you have a worker?

5. The Lawn Boy Pro

The Lawn Boy Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

Welcome to Lawnsite dude! (I'm the one that e-mailed you) Buying used isnt bad at ALL!!! I bought my ZTR (Zero Turning Radius) for 1 grand used! Got a Trac-Vac with it too! Sure it was a little beat up, but I LOVE projects! :D Oh ya, If you mow all day, are you homeschooled, or do you just mow on weekends, or what?:confused:

p4090008.jpg

6. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm 16 and have a snapper pro hydro 48" fixed deck.

It works great and I really would suggest go HYDRO over belt if u can afford it.

I also just bought a Shindaiwa T-230 last thursday and it only cost $260-

I got the stihl br420c magnum and it's a O.K. blower but, definately go with the REDMAX EB7001. The stihl is too hard to start and getting annoying.

Email me if u want.

7. Expert Lawns

Expert Lawns LawnSite Silver Member

Where in Michigan are you? I have a few places you can check out in the Flint area for used mowers. Also, maybe try ebay or some online classifieds, just be careful and take your time

8. The Lawn Boy Pro

The Lawn Boy Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

I was gonna saw that too. E-bay all-the-way! Search "Commercial Mower", "Zero Turn", Commercial Walk Behind", even specific names such as "Exmark", "Scag", "Great Dane", "Ferris", "Bunton", etc.

9. lawnkid

lawnkid LawnSite Senior Member

Aren't you supposed to be in school like the rest of us teens? Just wondering. Anyway, I would look into a used Scag hydro, they are sweet and do an excellent job cutting too. :D

10. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes, I am in school but "not in school" :D

I did a search on ebay and these are the three I came up with.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2324592380&category=20544

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2325506237&category=20544

This one isn't related but, I have NEVER seen a mower of that brand with that kind of engine. :p

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2325558223&category=43562

Sorry I couldn't post a link but, this crapintosh won't work right now so, you will have to copy and paste.

Thanks,

Chris