Need assisstance selecting a Z-Turn mower/equipment

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by sky_lawncare, Mar 28, 2008.

1. sky_lawncare

sky_lawncare LawnSite Member

Jacksonville, FL

New to business.

31 Years Old.

Vehicle: 95 Toyota Tacoma, v6, fully airbagged

Current Equipment:
    Echo SRM-230
    Echo PE-200

Next Purchase:
    Echo or Stihl blower. I've owned a professional grade stihl blower in the past. I guess my biggest concern is that I will have to have a seperate gas can just for the 4-mix if I go with the Stihl. I like the controls on the Stihl as it appears that the throttle controls are located differently on the Echo blowers. The Echo has a slightly higher output.

If anyone has an opinion on that I would welcome comments as to which brand and what model would be appropriate.

I have the unique opportunity to obtain a no obligation, no interest personal loan of about $5,000. With that, I would be looking at purchasing a small trailer and a zero-turn mower.

I've been thinking about this for some time and I think I've settled on a Hustler mower. I'm considering a fastrack super duty 36 or 42. I know if I do some searching I can get some info on which size to go with.

This is such a huge and important investment you want to make sure you get the right equipment however I'm really unsure as to what Hustler product is going to meet my needs best. I decided on hustler after using one at my 9-5 job with the county. We also have use a Gravely. The Hustler is one tough, sturdy machine. Again, input is welcome.

Regarding trailers, i'm not sure what the standard size is that most landscapers use, I have no idea what manufacturers are around here, what makes a trailer good, or how much to spend. I realize I may have to make some compromises to fit my needs for a mower and trailer into the constraints of my budget. I do know that I would like it to have racks to hold the trimmer, edger, blower and equipment fuel.

The purchase of this equipment could happen rather soon, so any CONSTRUCTIVE feedback is greatly appreciated.

2. kleankutslawn

kleankutslawn LawnSite Bronze Member

maybe squeezing it trying to get a zero and a trailer for $5000 if you are trying to get them new

3. hackitdown

hackitdown LawnSite Silver Member

The 4mix uses pre-mixed fuel. Why will you need a different gas can? Different mix ratios?

4. sky_lawncare

I guess I don't really understand what the 4-mix is. I thought you had to use stihl 4-mix oil, hence a seperate gas can just for 4-mix equipment, and another for regular 2-cycle equipment.

Been trying to search the forum, reading threads.

It may not be possible to get a mower & trailer for 5K. One thing at a time though. I need to know if a 36 or 42" mower is more appropriate. I'm assuming the argument is that the 36 will fit through more openings, but takes longer to mow a lawn. The 42 will speed you up overall but will slow you down if it won't fit through a gate. What is the best compromise?

If I can get some good feedback on this issue I'd like to move onto the trailer dilemma next.

5. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

a decent mower is going to cost more then that... stay away from the homowners stuff, you be sorry if you dont....

in my opinion, the fastrack is just a homeowners mower, wont hold up...

6. sky_lawncare

well, hustler touts the fastrak as a commercial model, but they elude to the fact that it would be suitable for a home owner or contractor.

When you go to the commercial section of their website they don't have anything smaller than a 52" deck. Given the quality of their mowers, I don't see how the fastrack wouldn't hold up to commercial use. Welded, not stamped decks, gusseted joints, 17-19HP kawasaki engine.

http://www.hustlerturf.com/Web-content/ProductPages/FTSD3642/FTSD3642Page/FTSDpage.html

7. KGR landscapeing

KGR landscapeing LawnSite Bronze Member

i have been under the impression that the stihl 4 mix is just a diffrent name for a 2 cycle engine. with better emissons and stuff.

8. sky_lawncare

Apparently it's a 4-stroke engine that runs off of a pre-mix, so if I understand correctly, you're going to need to make a pre-mix using stihl 4-mix oil, hence a separate fuel can.

Regardless, that doesn't help me figure out what riding mower i'm going to purchase or what deck size is preferrable.

9. sky_lawncare

10. KGR landscapeing

KGR landscapeing LawnSite Bronze Member

i would imagine anydeck on a ztr under 60 would be a waste of time